Friday, June 07, 2024

Friday News And Views

The FN&V Returns!

Honeman Flyer Gets Redshift:

Yes.....this is the third seatpost that this bike has had in less than three months. I know.... But this is all in the name of testing, and I think that this may be the last time I swap  out a seat post on this bike for a long while. 

It is a Redshift Sports seat post, a new one, and it will be "officially" launched next week. That said, you can find it on their website already if you are interested. I haven't been "unleashed" on this just yet. 

I also got in a ShockStop Pro stem for this bike and that I can say is a component that I recommend highly. I have hand issues and these ShockStop stems really help me a lot. (I talk a little bit about the ShockStop Pro stem in this post.) I rode this set up in Kansas and around here. I will have the opening review in a week. Stay tuned....

Image courtesy of Panaracer

Panaracer Announces Colored Tires For 2024:

For several years now Panaracer has run a limited edition set of Gravel King tires in various colors. This year's models are offered in a "Matcha Green" and in purple with either a skin wall or black wall.

The Gravel King SK, Gravel King X1, and the Gravel King SS in 40mm or 45mm sizes are the tires in the color program this time. If you want a set, it would be best to jump on this sooner than later as they tend to sell out fast.  

Comments: I often see these and think colored tires are a cool idea then I think about the ones I've seen "in the wild" and how dingy they appear. Then I also think about all that color on my bike. That's a lot of dingy, fading color that you have to live with until the tire wears out or you just cannot take it anymore. Then I realize this isn't for me. But if it trips your trigger, well then.....

Image courtesy of Merry Sales

Nerd Alert: IRD Front Derailleur Fiddler:

Have you ever had a situation where you were trying to set up a bicycle with a different crankset and realized that your front derailleur did not travel outward enough to get the chain onto the big ring? Well, if you've been there, you know what I am talking about. It seems that IRD may have a solution for this issue in some instances.

They call it the "Front Derailleur Fiddler". Essentially it is a mount for a "braze on" type front derailleur with a slotted mount which allows for lateral placement of the derailleur over the chain rings. 

Use Example: Let's say you've got an old late 80's/early 90's steel hybrid bike that you are trying to use as a flat bar gravel rig. You need to use this old Campy stuff you have laying around. Assuming the front derailleur is a braze on type, this doohickey will allow you to set that derailleur up so it clears the 42mm tires you are using and still get the chain in the big ring. Boom! 

Something like that, anyway. Obviously this won't solve every use scenario, but it might open up more possibilities for creative drive train use. Thanks IRD! 

Image courtesy of Fulcrum

Fulcrum Unviels New "SHARQ" Wheels:

Yesterday Fulcrum debuted a new all-roads wheel set with a very unique wavy rim profile. Dubbed "SHARQ" the rims feature a new wind-cheating design which Fulcrum has named "2-Wave". 

From Fulcrum's press release we learn that Fulcrum has experimented with rim profiles and the result was that they have a rim that blends the desired traits of reactivity, comfort, and aerodynamics in the best balance of those possible. 

The rim profile varies from 42mm - 47mm and is formed in a way which reduces drag and resistance in crosswinds by a claimed 21% in winds from 0° - 10° and an astounding claim of a 30% reduction in resistance in winds from 10° to 20°. These benchmarks were measured against wheels with similar profile depths. 

The set weighs in at a claimed 1440 grams. The inner rim width is a gravel-friendly 25mm. As with all Fulcrum wheels, the inner rim well is not pierced by spoke holes and does not require tubeless rim tape to be used with tubeless ready tires. The rim also features a "mini-hook" design.

The SHARQ wheels use a proprietary bladed spoke developed by Fulcrum and manufactured in Europe. In fact, all components making up the SHARQ wheels are either made in-house by Fulcrum or by their European based partners with full control over the process exercised by Fulcrum. Back to the spokes: These spokes are 3mm X 0.8mm  and have a special flattened base which interfaces with the Fulcrum hubs so that any twisting of the spokes is prevented. The hubs use ceramic bearings which are cup and cone style. The hubs are through axle design with an adjustment ring to achieve maximum free rolling of the wheels with correct bearing preload. 

The rear hub can be had in the following freehub standards: N3W (Campy), Shimano HG, Shimano Microspline, and SRAM XDR. Cost in USD is set at $2,807.0 and these wheels are available from Fulcrum dealers now. 

Comments: Aero is a trend in gravel and the recently run Unbound showed that in spades. This wheelset was used at Unbound with success. I've been saying for years that "aero" is a thing in gravel and yes - even at slower speeds that us plebeians ride at. Yes - aero wheels are expensive, but with the competition in pre-built wheels being so intense, and with how gravel is still a top category in cycling, my suspicion is that you will begin to see very well designed aero wheels for gravel coming in at much less than these SHARQ wheels cost. 

Image courtesy of Payson McElveen's Instagram

Big Tires For Gravel:

One of the notable trends coming out of Unbound was the use of 700c X 50mm+ tires on fast, carbon, aero gravel bikes in the Pro field. Payson McElveen's example is shown here with a big 29"er XC tire up front and what looks like a 700c X 50mm Maxxis Rambler out back. 

Unbound's sharp chert rock maybe an extreme example where bigger tires make sense. (Note - Big tires have always made sense in the Flint Hills) However; will big, XC 29"er type tires be the rubber of choice for the masses?

In recent years, the 40mm - 42mm tire seemed to be the happy place for most folks. Then wider 45mm - 47mm tires came about and then people started to catch on to the benefits of bigger rubber on gravel and dirt roads. 

If what I am hearing is true, and if what I am noticing is a sign, you will start to see 45mm tires be the "standard" for gravel with a lot more instances where 50mm wide tires are available in similar tread patterns. Bikes will clear 2.1" tires as a normal thing, and drive trains, wheels, and geometries will adapt accordingly. I think you will start to see less tire offerings under 40mm in width too. The focus is shifting to wider, and while you may think, "Hey! Just get a XC hard tail mountain bike!", this trend is not going away. (By the way, have you noticed XC hard tail MTB's are showing up now with 2.4" rubber?)

Image for the podcast by GCHoF'er Linda Guerete
Episode #49: "Postcards From Emporia":

We just dropped a new episode of the Guitar Ted Podcast for everyone to enjoy. In this hour long session N.Y. Roll and I discuss the Unbound Gravel event, (possibly the best weather year ever), and we get into the Gravel Cycling Hall of Fame inductees for 2024. You can listen HERE or get the podcast from wherever you get your podcasts from.

I also get into a bit of a rant concerning the way nomination submissions are done with the GCHoF. I feel that, as I wrote here last week, that if we are relying on stories to be uncovered, both historical and impactful to gravel that should be celebrated and preserved, and if we are relying on those submissions to come from an uninformed pool of people who mostly aren't good at telling stories, then we will have limited submissions that truly belong in the GCHoF. 

I think there will be a change in how the GCHoF handles things in the future. That's just my opinion there. To the Board's credit, they are discussing and considering all forms of positive feedback and critiques on their ways of doing things. The GCHoF will evolve, and I believe the people behind the GCHoF will steer this thing into a better place as time goes on. I don't "know" anything about changes in the future for the GCHoF, I just believe they will do what is best in the future based upon the people involved in the GCHoF.
 

That's a wrap on this week's news and views. Have a great weekend and thank you for reading Guitar Ted Productions.

6 comments:

shiggy person said...

“Big” tires are definitely here. While a Vittoria email promotion said Lachlan used a 700x50 front tire, post race pics show it was a 700x54 (29x2.1). No model hot stamp but it did have “Vittoria Team Issue” (or similar) label

tntmoriv said...

GT, that IRD Front Derailleur Fiddler is one of those things that makes me smile, and makes me wonder why we have not seen that before. Simple, intuitive, versatile, and useful. It would have probably prevented the slow accumulation of FDs in my parts bin! It’s like meeting someone for the first time and immediately discovering an old friend who you have just met. Thanks IRD!

MG said...

Big tires have always been a ‘thing’ with me, as you know. My raciest gravel bike still has 47c tires on it. No puny tires here!!

Pedro said...

Tires, tires, tires… One important fact for me. Absolutely in love with big tires, I do not consider any option capable of admit less than 50. Latter, will be my choice to to with 40 or 45, but inicially I want the option to go bigger there.
And it is almost impossible to find options there… and combine with rim brakes, very difficult. It is a petty that Rivendells for my side are on 650b.
I keep returning to my Jones :).

S Sprague said...

Bring on the 700x50 tires! I am glad to see more 700x50 tires coming out since I run them on my old 29er MTB as my gravel bike. Next commuter tire will be the Vittoria Terrano Zero in a 50 for my old custom MTB 29er commuter (different than the gravel bike).

I agree with your comments about the Panaracer tire color. I like the color but not sure about the long term. I do wish they offered them in a 50! :-)

Phillip Cowan said...

Check out Dylan Johnson's Youtube video on his unbound bike. He ran 2.2 Race Kings on 60mm deep aero rims. They did actual wind tunnel testing in lieu of the usual bro science. Very interesting.