Thursday, June 06, 2024

Update On The "Victory Ride"

Image by Wally Kilburg of GT at Odin's Revenge
The "Victory Ride" will take place on June 15th from Urbana, Iowa. I thought I would give an update on things so far and bring those of you not aware of this up to speed. 

The "why" for this ride and the basics of it can be read about at the link HERE to my May 15th announcement. 

This will be about a 50 - 55 mile ride in Benton County, for the most part, and will be taking in the village of Brandon, home of the World's Largest Frying Pan and the town of Vinton, Iowa at about halfway. 

The ride will start at 9;00am and will leave Urbana from the Cedar Valley Nature Trail access parking lot which is located near the Urbana City Hall on Capitol Street. Parking is available there. 

I have confirmed that I have a substitute for work so the ride is a definite "go". I have had one firm confirmation for two riders out of Lincoln, Nebraska and a possible third rider from the same area.  Warren is coming, and N.Y. Roll will be there. So I figure it's a legit ride with at least five, maybe six souls in attendance. 

I had a question about whether or not this was a "race" and concerned questions about pace, etc... So, let me very clear - This is NOT a race! This is a No-Drop Group Ride where I expect the pace to be somewhere around 12mph and I also expect us to stop for stragglers and regroup whenever necessary.  There will be stops planned as well.

First will be an out and back section to an overlook on the Cedar River. Secondly there will be a stop at Casey's Convenience Store in Vinton, Iowa. Next will be a stop at the World's Largest Frying Pan in Brandon. Then we will finish out the ride. 

Expect to have to carry enough water and food to last three hours. Resupply will be available in Vinton and a possible water source may exist in Brandon.

Some form of socializing may occur afterward, but we'll play that by ear as we go.  So, are you thinking of coming? Let me know. This should be a fun morning into afternoon on a bicycle if nothing else. 

Bonus For Those Showing Up: Note - This will be an optional thing and only those showing up will be able to obtain one of the following.....

Warren is bringing a stencil and some black spray paint. You bring an old T-shirt in a light color with enough empty space on the front or back for Warren's stencil which will be his logo for the Victory Ride. (He may include the date, or not. We'll see.) A very DIY souvenir for those in attendance. The plan is to make these in the parking lot after the ride is over.

14 comments:

Josh Lederman said...

The DIY tee-shirt idea is fantastic!

Rydn9ers said...

There will be three in our group, have the accommodations booked. Super stoked about the frying pan, that alone is worth the price of admission.

Guitar Ted said...

@Josh Lederman - You know you want one! Hope that you can make the ride, Sir!

Guitar Ted said...

@Rydn9ers - Awesome! I'm glad that you are stoked about the route.

MG said...

I’m pretty sure I’m in… Just working through where I might be able to camp Friday night.

FarleyBob said...

I was hoping to attend but have an annual Alzheimer's ride that day. Hopefully there will be another ride to attend in the future!

Guitar Ted said...

@Farley Bob - I hope you have a good time on your ride! I'm sure something will gel in terms of another ride. It seems I cannot get away from that! :>)

teamdarb said...

I do lot of traveling. I am 100 percent sure: Worlds largest frying pan is in Rose Hill, NC.

Guitar Ted said...

@teamdarb - Correct! I checked into it and the pan in Rose Hill NC is 15ft in diameter while the one in Brandon is 9’ 3”.

The Brandon pan is now billed as "The Largest Frying Pan In Iowa".

Wheeeee!

Rydn9ers said...

Actually there, Normie... or @Guitar Ted and @teamdarb, I believe the Worlds Largest skillet is in Tennessee at the Lodge Cast Iron Museum. It measures over 18 feet and weighs a whopping 14,360 lbs but I'll make do with the 3rd largest skillet.

MG said...

Holy cow… All this skillet talk is makin’ me hungry!!

Guitar Ted said...

@Rydn9ers - Well...... After checking in on the Lodge Museum page, and trying to eyeball their image of the actual display, it would appear it "depends". I can see a sign that says the diameter of their pan is 12 feet and the overall length, (including the handles) is 18ft.

So, in terms of actual cooking surface? I'm not gonna make a call, but I will say that there seems to be room for debate there. ;>)

Rydn9ers said...

As a user and somewhat aficionado of cast iron, I can say with confidence that the handles get hot and "can be used" as a cooking surface. ;)

Guitar Ted said...

@Rydn9ers - LOL! Fair enough!