Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Tifosi Moab Eyewear: Final Review

Note: Tifosi Optics sent the Moab model eyewear to Guitar Ted Productions at no charge for test/review. I am not being paid nor bribed for this review and all opinions expressed are my own. 

The Tifosi Moab eyewear has been put through its paces here and now it is time to give my final verdict on the these shield style glasses for cycling. My introduction and first take can be found HERE

Okay, now on with the review! This October has been weird from a weather perspective. We have not received much rain at all, and we have had copious amounts on Sunshine accompanied by hot, dry, and windy days. While that doesn't bode well for a lot of other things, it was great for reviewing Sun glasses. I was able to use these enough to get a good feel for how they work out on the gravel and on some pavement riding as well. 

First off, I wanted to share my experiences with swapping lenses. Thankfully Tifosi ships the glasses with a paper showing the procedure for how the Moab glasses are to be handled when you swap lenses. It went just as the instructions showed it to me. I was very glad to have had that resource because I doubt I would have gotten it right had there been no guidance and I may have possibly damaged the lenses, frames, or both.

The AC Red lenses are my favorites.

I switched out to Tifosi's AC Red lens and found that to be very similar to my previous experiences with the Rail glasses I reviewed last year.This lens tint lets a bit more light in, which my old eyes prefer, but it also seems to bring out the contrasts in the road surface in a clearer way. 

The mirrored lens, in my opinion, doesn't seem to have the clarity of the AC Red lens. I find that the mirrored lens makes things a bit duller and a bit less defined, but this could boil down to my eyes and your eyes may see that differently. Literally and figuratively. 

In terms of comfort, the Moab frames are unobtrusive and easy to forget about while you are riding. The nose piece helps the glasses to stay put on your face and I did not feel compelled to poke at the glasses to keep them in place often as I have with other eyewear. This is especially useful when the gravel is chunky or the road is rough and the bumps and vibrations are making your head shake a bit. 

Final Word: I like the Moab's looks on me and Tifosi's AC Red lens is a winner for riding on gravel where discerning the "good line" is hard to do if you cannot make out contrasts in the road surface. The mirrored lens might work best for someone riding mostly paved roads and for those with more light sensitive eyes than I have. The bonus clear lens will work great on rides at night or during cloudy weather, so you have the versatility you need to make these glasses work in all conditions, At Tifosi's asking price ($79.95) the value is definitely there.

It is hard to find any negatives with Tifosi's Moab eyewear, and this might be just me, but the mirrored lens seems a bit less optically clear to me. But other than this, probably personal, issue, I can highly recommend Tifosi's products to anyone. The Moab's style is hot in cycling now, so this is a great choice for those looking for such eyewear styling for cycling needs. 

1 comment:

NY Roll said...

Fun Fact: Your review a few years ago on Tifosi, had Morgan buying 2 pairs. Yes, she loves the price point and functionality.