Saturday, October 12, 2024

Fall Views: Test Riding

The trees are just starting to pop with color here.
Friday I decided to take a multi-surface test ride to get going on my review of the State Bicycle Co. Monster Fork v2. So, I came up with a plan and headed out on Friday morning. It was cool-ish when I started but we were headed for near record temperatures which was to be around 85°F. The ironic thing about this is the way 85 degrees feels so much different in October than it does in August. It is a completely different experience. 

That is due to how much drier the air is, which is why it can go from being in the low 50's to 70's in an hour's time! It makes dressing for a ride challenging. I wore my new Twin Six Thermal Cargo Bib Knickers, a Pirate Cycling League jersey over a Twin Six base layer, and my Twin Six floral patterned vest. I used a buff rag on my head and wore my Lazer helmet. I had on some cycling socks and Shimano RX801 shoes. I was comfortable the entire ride, but by the end I could tell it was a lot warmer than when I started out!

Trolley Car Trail

I hit up Trolley Car Trail, which isn't paved.....yet, and I hope it never will be. How it is not paved at this time is amazing to me, what with the current thought being that every recreational trail needs paving. I don't get that train of thought, by the way, because pavement causes run-off, needs maintenance, which is not cheap, and encourages motorized traffic, despite that being illegal. Anyway....

Trolley Car Trail never needs maintaining, with the exception of tree and branch clearing after a windstorm. But what trail is immune to that? 

Shirey Way: The inter-city Level B Road.

I took the bike through Shirey Way. People call this "Lower Hartman" but they don't know their history. Most folks now probably don't recall when this was a public road, surfaced with gravel, and open to traffic. Nor do they likely remember that there were homes on this road. There were whispers in the 80's that this road was where the "devil worshipers" sacrificed animals. Crazy times....

I did a little single track in a couple of spots. Riding a drop bar gravel bike on single track is kind of a hoot. As long as things don't get too rowdy or technical, it is an experience you should give a try. Things have been so bone-dry here that there were no worries over mud or moist dirt that would give my tires a challenge. The dry dirt was perfect for the Vulpine S tires. 

I found out what I needed to know and high-tailed it back home. I had other chores to attend to and Winter is coming, so I could not put some things off any longer!

No comments: