Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Got A Big Head? Check This Out

The Lazer Kineticore Helmet

Note: Lazer Helmets sent out a white Strada Kineticore helmet for review to Guitar Ted Productions at no charge. I am not being paid, nor bribed for this review and I always strive to give you my honest thoughts and opinions. 

My relationship with helmets for cycling has been marked by frustration and a dash of "rules breaking". See, I have a big head. Not the "big head" in terms of an ego, or pridefulness, but an actual "BIG HEAD".  As in a 7 7/8ths or 63.5cm sized melon that resides on the top of my body. 

So, to say that I am quite familiar with how the cycling industry is not "size inclusive" is putting things mildly. Let's talk about jersey sizing, jackets, or shorts some day. But not today. Today is all about heads, big heads, and how helmets don't come often in big head sizes, if they do at all. 

I can honestly say that since about 1993, when I started wearing a helmet, I hadn't had a helmet that truly fit me without modifications until 2020. Yep! 27 years of cycling in ill fitting headgear because, well, I suppose cycling helmet providers didn't think people had bigger heads than 7 3/4's size. If they even went that big. 

Kudos to Bontrager/Trek for finally making cool helmets for larger noggins. I ride with two different Bontrager helmets that fit me quite well without any mods whatsoever. But that's just one company. What if I wanted to ride in something different? Well, I'm here to tell you that I discovered another helmet company that just might fix you up. 

Lazer helmets got a hold of me recently to tell me about a new gravel helmet they have out now and 'would I like to try one'? 

Well, I always chuckle when I get these helmet offers. I check the sizing, with a pretty good idea of what I am about to see, and have my suspicions confirmed. The Lazer gravel helmet was no different. The only thing I can do a lot of times is to tell these people to ask one of my friends that review stuff to try that out, or I just say "Thanks, but no thanks!". However; this time I decided to tell the Lazer rep that they don't make helmets my size and that I have one helmet company I can use. 

The Bontrager Starvos has been my jam since 2020.

Just to backtrack a second here, Lazer actually had insisted that they had a helmet to fit me at one point about five or six years ago. I kept telling them that they didn't, but they sent one out anyway. Aaaaaannnnnd......I was right. It did not fit me at all. So, I was pretty confident that this time Lazer would be either going back to the drawing board or telling me that they couldn't help me. But they did neither of those two things.

Instead, the rep told me about two helmets in the Lazer range that had been made to fit larger heads. "Would you like to try one of them?" And you know what? They do have a helmet that fits! The one I was sent, at no charge to me for a trial fit and review, was the Strada Kineticore model in white. It is supposed to fit up to a size 64cm head, which is just a bit larger than what I need. 

The helmet is what I would call a mid-range helmet with some decent protection features and nice styling and plenty of decently sized vents. It's not super-lightweight nor does it have the fancier features some higher end helmets have, but it is nice. And it fits my head without causing me any uncomfortable tight spots or strain. Now, it isn't perfect, but lets not let perfect be the enemy of the good here. When you have a head like mine, you don't get a lot of choices. 

That said, if your head trends to the rounder side, this helmet will fit you better than it does me. I have a decidedly egg-shaped, longer head, and there is s slight bit of side-to-side looseness when I have the fore-aft right for my head. It isn't terrible, but it could fit a bit better. 

The textured strip on the back adjusts the cradle internally.

And because the helmet is near to the end of its size range capabilities, I can only get in a thin head-buff nylon sock thing over my head to keep the Winter chill out, and that's all the room I have. Compared to the Bontrager Starvos helmet, which I can get a nice wool, ear flapper cycling hat under, this is a bit underwhelming. Also, the fit system and cradle style of the Lazer helmet is a bit fiddly and not as easy to use as the Bontrager's. 

But the Strada Kineticore does have a really cool rubberized sunglasses port which neither of my two Bontrager helmets have and I do like that. By the way, the Starvos and this Strada Kineticore helmet are near to each other in price, especially now with Lazer's sale going on. Typically, the Strada is about 30 bucks to 40 bucks more expensive, depending on where you look. 

I wore the Strada Kineticore on my Turkey Burn rides over three days and found no real problems while riding with it on. I cannot speak to the venting, as it is Winter here and venting is not a good thing now. I wore the aforementioned buff-thingy which pretty much kept me in the dark concerning venting. But it fits! That's the biggest win here for me. 

And hopefully Lazer will take my story and make their high-end helmets big-head friendly. time will tell.....

6 comments:

MG said...

I’m glad you found some helmets that work for you! I have a couple Strada KinetiCore helmets that Lazer has given me and for the midrange helmet they are, they’re pretty darn nice. The ventilation isn’t the best ever, but it’s not bad either. The KinetiCore system seems to actually enhance the ventilation a bit with its additional channels above the head.

Guitar Ted said...

@MG - Thanks for those insights, Brother! I'll have to compare the Kineticore to the "bee-hive" thing inside the Bontrager helmets and see which is better at venting. I'm thinking it will be the Lazer, but we'll see.

baric said...

Just as an aside, did they really call this new bicycle helmet a " gravel " helmet ?
Really ? .... Ha !

Guitar Ted said...

@ic - A quick Google search for "gravel helmets" yielded results under that category name from Giro, POC, Lazer, and other helmet purveyors. So, as silly as that may seem, yes - it is a "real thing".

baric said...

Another thought. Do they come in an array of colors so we can match them up with our gravel shoes and socks ? Can't help it .... Chuckle chuckle..........

MG said...

@baric – Funny you jokingly mention that, but the short answer is yes. They have a pattern that matches the green Shimano RX8 gravel shoes, in fact.