Friday, November 10, 2023

Friday News And Views

Ze Mango ze Tango!
 Chris King Brings Matte Mango Back:

Despite the dark times of the late 90's/early 2000's, Chris King has been a stalwart against the "Age of Black". Those days when cycling went dark and everybody was trying to make their bikes as black as possible. I never did get on with that ide.

Black........ Boring!

 Well, that is, unless you add in splashes of color, and Chris King was about the only game in town for many years. Then other companies started bringing the color, and well, Chris King had to "innovate", so they started doing odd anodized colors, like Coffee Brown, and then matte finishes in various anodized colors. They were successes, but there was a problem.

Despite CK's experiences in the anodization process, which they fully control and know inside and out, variances in batch colors affected certain runs, especially that Matte Mango color, so CK pulled that from the line about 18 months ago. But now that the process of anodizing Matte Mango has been refined, King felt compelled to bring the color back again and make it a part of their regular line once more. Those hues include Black, Matte Black, Two Tone Black Gold, Midnight, Matte Turquoise, Red, Silver, Gold, and 3D Violet.

The fizik Ergolace GTX shoe (Image courtesy of fizik)

And More Colorful Stuff For Your Viewing Pleasure:

Colors other than black or white, (mostly seen in the roadie side of cycling) were also once rare. But over the past several years components and apparel have taken on more colorful patterns and hues. 

Take for instance the collaboration here between PEdALED and fizik with the brick red and tan Ergolace GTX shoes. That's a bold look, and fizik isn't the only company stepping outside the traditional boundaries of what cycling apparel and components have been. 

My first job in cycling was at a shop in Cedar Falls, Iowa where I worked for a man named Tom Webb who said something to the effect of, "Cycling is a colorful sport. Your stuff should reflect that. It's fun, so why not?" I found that sentiment to have a great impact upon me and I have always remembered the late Mr. Webb's philosophy on cycling apparel and components. 

I know colors are really hard on retailers because then we start getting into fashion and that usually has a shelf-life measured in months. What was 'cool' for anodized bits one season could be next season's pariah. Having a bunch of 3D Violet bits in a case that no one wants makes for bad profit and loss statements. 

Or that's how it used to be, at any rate. Now? Well, it seems color sells and I think more companies are emboldened to stick their necks out with more risky options, like the fizik shoes here. 

Grip Idea:

Recently I have tested out the new evolution of Ergon's GP1, the GP1 Evo, (seen here) and it got me to thinking about those Redshift Sports Cruise Control grips and others like those (seen here). That made me wonder why in the heck haven't I been using those Cruise Control grips lately? 

So, that was one thing. The next part is that I don't think I have ridden my gen I Fargo at all this year. Not even once. Crime committed!

It just so happens that I have a Kitchen Sink bar from Redshift on the Fargo. So..... Those Cruise Control grips are going on there, and I have a few other tweaks in mind for that bike which also will be implemented. That's my next project and I have a goal in mind to make the bike rideable with the new updates. Look for more on that ride idea in tomorrow's post. 

I hope to get all this fixed up and test ridden soon, so stay tuned here for a post detailing the changes and I am really looking forward to riding the Fargo again real soon. I cannot believe I haven't ridden it for so long! 

Big Discounts Expected For Black Friday:

In other Turkey Day related news, the feeling I get from different sources is that this early Holiday season will be marked by some incredible deals on bicycles, components, and accessories. 

I am already getting hit in my inbox with messages from companies telling me to be on the look-out for deals the weekend after Thanksgiving, and especially that day known as "Black Friday"

Pre-holiday discounting is already on the upswing. I have also noted several 25%-30% deals on apparel and other stuff out there. It just continues to point to the fact that the industry is bloated in terms of inventory and will be seeking to offer deals "too good to be true" for the end of 2023. 

So, let's say that all this massive discounting of overstock is successful. Will people be looking to buy during the opening months of 2024? Why would they be, if, as is somewhat hoped for by the business, people have all they need going into the New Year? 

It doesn't bode well, and I suspect that either way, successful sell-off or no, that depressed sales will be the norm and overstock will take a while to trickle out over the next six months to a year. And I would think that current manufacturing orders are down by a lot. Once the glut moves through, you may see another short-supply situation again until the market can finally find its bearings. And who knows how long that will take. 

At any rate, this situation brought on by the crazy daze of the pandemic are going to affect the cycling marketplace for months to come, maybe over a year yet. 

That's it for today! Have a fantastic weekend and thanks for reading Guitar Ted Productions.

2 comments:

Gravelo said...

The caption on the Chris King pic is perfect! It took not even a fraction of a second to register the double meaning. Well done sir.

Guitar Ted said...

@Gravelo - Thanks! ;>)