Monday, December 15, 2008

I'm Not Going To Do It! Ya Can't Make Me!

Well, as many of the cyclists wake up this morning across the United States, they are going to find weather that is unfit for man and beast. Wind chill is what gets to me. I nearly froze to death as a child and once did something insanely stupid involving alcohol, New Years Eve, and 8 inches of snow that caused me to get a frostbitten left ear. So, I hesitate to jump outside and commute to work when other more intrepid cyclists might try to beat the weather. Not that I haven't done that, it just has to be in the right conditions.

At my age, and with my experiences, I pick and choose my battles. I've paid my dues and I don't have anything to prove. Riding to work in negative 30 degree below zero windchill is not a battle I wish to engage. Nope. Not gonna do it.

So today that danged "Dirty Blue Box" had better start up and I will drive that thing into work without any shame. I'm not going to feel guilty. Ya can't make me! Besides it's Mrs. Guitar Ted's birthday, and I have to buy her a card, and then I'm taking her out to dinner. (Shhh! Don't tell her, she doesn't read this and she doesn't know about it yet!)

If you decide to take on the challenge of riding to work in this stuff, more power to you. Be careful, and be safe! I'm not sure you are wise, but am sure you are cycling, so that can't be all bad. I guess......even though it is brutally cold out there.

Here's hoping for a warmer tomorrow!

No comments: