Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Tough Gig

I usually try to keep things bicycle related here and I don't often stray from that. However; from time to time I will, and this is one of those times.  It was one of those times I'd rather not have to write about, in one sense, but on the other hand, it might be a really good thing. Well, here goes.....

It's about a death.

I knew this guy, he was a musician, (and a whole lot more than that), and he used to play in the church band with me. He succumbed to cancer last week. So, yeah.............

Anyway, we got the band, as it was when he played on it, back together and we played for his "Celebration Of Life" ceremony. It wasn't a funeral, really. A funeral wouldn't rock as hard as this gig did. That said, I found it to be a tough gig. I seem to have been a bit too close to this emotionally than maybe I was anticipating. That said, I made it through and everything went just fine despite myself.

This guy was one of those special folks. A person you'd never forget, if you'd have known him. He was that sort of a character. But beyond this, I often find it is at these times when I am reminded that things like wondering if there should be a fat bike class in races, if "gravel bikes' should be a specific design or not, or if enduro is stupid or not, doesn't matter at all. It is just fluff. Meaningless, really.

Love, Life, and Living it to the fullest extent. Relationships. Being a great father, friend, husband, and human being.

There ya go...........




9 comments:

Exhausted_Auk said...

Well said.

Capncavedan said...

Sorry for your loss, GT. I lost someone in my family in very unexpected circumstances less than a year ago, and it was hard. Young guy, only maybe 5 years older than me I think. I had a similar reaction as you've had.

I wish we didn't have to experience these hard things to be reminded of what's truly important … but I'd rather that than never be reminded at all.

MG said...

Amen Brother... I'm sorry for your loss, but admire your perspective.

Keep on rockin!

Cheers,
MG

Adam Lorenz said...

In the midst of hardship and loss - this was a good word. Thanks Mark.

Jon said...

andAmen, brotherman...

S Sprague said...

GT, that is a great way to celebrate the loss of a friend. Sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing.

Shane said...

Deep respect for your outlook on life GT. This really hits home with me as I also lost someone close 3 years ago very unexpectedly to cancer. Hang in there and surround yourself with loved ones.

Johann Rissik said...

He was a lucky man to have a friend like you.
And well done for truly celebrating his life.

Phyllis said...

Honey that was a well worded comment about Larry. He loved you and thought well of you because you are a great father, husband, friend, and man. Love you very much, Phyllis