Monday, April 13, 2020

Guitar Ted Lube-Off: Lilly Lube Results

Not bad....not great, but not bad.
Note: the following is an update on the ongoing 2020 round of the Guitar Ted "Lube-Off" featuring aMTBer Smoothe Lube, Lilly Lube, and WPL Wet Lube.

The Lilly Lube has been ridden 6.25 hours and the test is now done. This particular lube is a bit of an oddball in that Lilly Lube claims it works both as a wet and a dry lube. Good thing too, since the last test ride was over some really dusty gravel. This lube also says it is self-cleaning. I'll have a bit of an update coming in regard to that soon in the over-all wrap up for this round of the Lube-Off.

The chain shows some dirt attraction, but Lilly Lube does say it has "minimal attraction to dirt". I'd agree with that claim. To be honest, the chain was a lot cleaner than I expected it to be. The "Touch Test" revealed some dirt, but no gunky build-up whatsoever. Did I detect a bit of a slippery feeling? Hmm..... I rubbed it again. Pffft! Maybe there is.... Hard to say.

The chain did not feel sticky, dry, or greasy. So, decent, not amazing, definitely not wet, but again- almost imperceptibly slick. There is something going on there. Lilly Lube does not recommend any lube intervals, so maybe I was pushing the limits? Hard to say. It shifted great, was quiet, as far as chain noise, and the lube definitely had not washed off. If the cleaning action works as advertised, then I think we may have a winner here. I'll update in the final overview on this round.


I have to give the Lilly Lube an "A" for keeping this cassette this clean. The chain, well, it isn't bad either.
This lube is impressing me. I'm probably going to use it again, and maybe it will feature in the next round of the Lube-Off since we are headed into drier weather soon, and this is supposed to work as a dry lube as well. At any rate, this lube is well worth looking into, I think.

Okay, stay tuned for the wrap up where I will have a bit more on the Lilly Lube to share.

Note- I did not pay for any of these lubricants. I have not been bribed, nor have I been paid to make these posts. These lubricants were either free samples or sent in specifically to be tested and reviewed by me. I will strive to give my honest thoughts and views throughout.

No comments: