Saturday, April 11, 2020

Guitar Ted Lube-Off: WPL Lube Results

The Fargo Gen I rig ran the WPL lube for this round of the Lube-Off
 Note: the following is an update on the ongoing 2020 round of the Guitar Ted "Lube-Off" featuring aMTBer Smoothe Lube, Lilly Lube, and WPL Wet Lube.

All righty then! I have exactly 6 hours logged on the Fargo Gen I running the WPL Wet Lube which is a wet conditions lube and fully, certifiably biodegradable.

In my last update on this lube, I mentioned that I was fairly impressed, that far into the test, but I had noted that the chain was displaying dry spots, and my question was whether this lube was washing off or not.

Well, I am quite sure it did not wash off, but it did dry up pretty badly. In fact, I believe it got sticky. The reason I say this is because I started suffering chain suck on the big ring, which is highly unusual, and generally happens when a chain gets dried out or if the chain ring is worn badly. Well, I know my chain ring is worn, but it isn't bad. I do know the chain feels sticky and gritty. So, I'm blaming the lube here.

WPL claims it has a resistance to "gunk build-up" and that it is meant for "endurance efforts". So, I think it is reasonable to expect that this lube should not have caused any black build-up and that it should have lasted six hours, at least. It loses on both counts, unfortunately. I think a quick review of the conditions I used this in are in order before I go on.

You can see the chain is dry here, and you can also see a gritty, black build-up. 
The conditions were mostly dirt, pavement, and a ride on gravel in there. There was mud, water in the mud, and short sandy sections. Basically a potpourri of surfaces, but mud and water were part of this six hours for sure. Nothing in excess, but a good balance of all.

So, again I think it was reasonable to expect better performance than I got. That a lube claimed as a "wet lube" acted more like a bad "dry lube" is pretty much unacceptable. This WPL stuff reminds me a lot of lubes based on soybean oil. That was a big fad back in the early 00's. That type of lube was fine unless it dried out and if you kept the chain wet, it would get real messy and sticky. Looking at my chain above, I would have to say that unless I cleaned the chain thoroughly before a re-lube, I'd end up like I used to with soybean oil lube.

The red arrows point to build-up on the cassette.
The build-up on the chain and cassette teeth was also evident and therefore not much of what was claimed about this lube seems to stand up here. My testing may not be representative of this lube. It is, after all, only "one data point", but to not even come close to the claims? I'd think this wouldn't be that far off, but there are the images. You decide......

The "Touch Test" revealed a gritty, dirty, dry residue off the chain.
My conclusion is that the WPL Wet Lube is really not all that the company cracks it up to be. While it was still wet, it was fine, but it lasts no where near what an "endurance effort" would be, and to be honest, the conditions weren't even that severe. My expectation was that the chain would still be wet to the touch, maybe dirty, but wet at least. It was pretty obvious that what was on my chain was only becoming a magnet for dirt and grit which was chewing up my cassette, chain, and causing chain suck on the big ring.

So, the next step here is to get a completely new drive train installed. The WPL's failure to lubricate well has pretty much pushed this drive train into the "well-worn" category (chain and cassette) and that won't do for the next up lube, which is going to be Muc-Off C3 Ceramic Wet Lube. I have plans to swap to a new crank set, use my Chris King bottom bracket, get a new 9 speed chain and cassette, and then I should be good to roll again.

I'm hoping to find a bit bigger middle ring for my "new" crank set too, which will be a late 00's Shimano LX I have sitting around, or the original XT one for this bike, which I think I still have as well. I'll have to check on that. At any rate, that is a wrap on two of the three lubes in this round. The results so far are, well........pretty dismal! The Lilly Lube is the last one I have to get to six hours and I have 1.5 to go there. It won't have to be much better to win this round, that's for sure! 

Note- I did not pay for any of these lubricants. I have not been bribed, nor have I been paid to make these posts. These lubricants were either free samples or sent in specifically to be tested and reviewed by me. I will strive to give my honest thoughts and views throughout.

5 comments:

DT said...

Thanks for the honest assessment. I bought the Dumonde per your recommendation but haven't used it thoroughly enough to have an opinion. My old standby is Rock n Roll Gold for nice conditions and NFS (NixFrixShun) for wet. I know you have experience with Rock n Roll, but have you ever tried NFS?

Guitar Ted said...

@DT - No, I have not tried that brand. Can you get it online?

rth009 said...

GTed: Im a long time RockNRoll Gold user who commented recently that I was going to try some Dumonde Tech original. I now have it on two bikes, both of which I cleaned the chain fairly thoroughly with simple green and a chain cleaner while on the bike, but I didnt remove and soak the chains or anything. They were clean, but not perfect. Anyway, it seems to be holding up well, one has at least 4 hours of MTB riding with some mud sections and I'm pleased. I have just been wiping down the chain with a rag after I ride. I suspect I will easily make it 6 hours before the chain gets noisy, even in spring conditions.

DT said...

Hi Mark - It's available at http://nixfrixshun.com/
I just send the owner a message on Facebook saying you might be interested in trying it.
I'm not connected to them in any way; I've just had good luck with it and I'd love to hear your thoughts! Especially if it could help some other cyclists out there.

Guitar Ted said...

@DT - Thanks! I'll see if I can get some coming. I plan on doing another round here in a few weeks, if possible.