Wednesday, April 01, 2020

Guitar Ted Lube-Off: WPL Lube Update

The Gen I Fargo is running the WPL lube.
Note: the following is an update on the ongoing 2020 round of the Guitar Ted "Lube-Off" featuring aMTBer Smoothe Lube, Lilly Lube, and WPL Wet Lube. 

Okay, just to get everyone up to speed here, and to clarify a point I made earlier, the Fargo Gen I is running the WPL Wet lube. I had stated earlier this bike would have the Lilly Lube, but that went on the pink MCD instead,

Okay- So, with 3.5 hours of six on the WPL Wet Lube, I wanted to give you all a quick update on it and tell you about the conditions it has been run in up to this point. I generally have been using these lubes on my commutes to work which feature a lot of off-pavement, dirt, grass fields, mud, and some water puddles. This time of year has been good for testing the "wet" of wet lubes, that's for sure.

I will say that what I expected- that wet lubes would be "messy"- hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be with the Lilly Lube or this WPL. I mean, they aren't anywhere near the level of the dry lubes, but then again, can we really expect that? I don't. I don't think you should either. And it bears mentioning again that wax based aMTBer lube is definitely NOT good in our wet conditions. So I won't be talking about that facet for that lube.

The WPL, for a "wet" lube has been pretty surprising. It is really quiet. That's something I noted right away, that it made the Fargo's drive train quieter. Shifting has been perfect. I cannot say that I have heard any odd scrunching, grittiness, or what have you due to water or wet dirt in the chain, but I do know I have had some dirt and water on this chain. In fact, in the image below you can see some dirt on the side plates in a couple places.

WPL Wet Lube has been pretty surprising for a "wet" type lube. 
By the way, I should note that this particular 9 speed chain is not very shiny at all, and never was. It is one of those SRAM chains that starts out a gun metal grey, so it kind of looks oxidized, but it isn't. That's just how it looks. But that said, you cannot really see much gunk, globby, oily build-up, or dirt sticking to this chain. It's not bad, for a wet lube. Quite good, actually.

Now the question will be, will this wear off before I get to six hours? It is looking pretty dry in spots, but we'll see. I have 2.5 hours to go and this one will be done. But regardless, I am impressed with this lube and if it holds up, it will get a fair recommendation from me. I wouldn't use it in dry, dusty conditions, but for what it is meant for? I think it looks pretty good, so far.....

Stay tuned for more soon. 

1 comment:

teamdarb said...

I have been using high zinc lube in both a silicon semi dry and a wet oil base. This stuff works wonders in rain and snow. Mud is hit or miss. Now that I think of it, I have not lubed my chain in a week of rain, snow and mud. I am using the lube on a zinc coated chain. I had tried it on a standard chain and found the lube simply fell out of the links or gummed the outer plates dependant on temperature (ambient).