Monday, June 15, 2020

Country Views; Mudslinging

Another gorgeous Saturday
Another Saturday, another bell ringer of a day. Sure....it was really windy from the East, but it wasn't beastly humid, way too hot, or raining. That's three Saturdays in a row. I'm betting that will about do it for that streak, but I'd be happy to be completely wrong about that.

I decided to do a bit shorter ride since I had to take care of some business mid-day and then hang out with the family in the afternoon. So, a short two and a half hour morning ride was done. I also had to finish up reviewing the Hutchinson tires on my Fargo Gen I, so I took that bike out and headed South.

The temperatures were barely into the 60's when I left so it was very comfortable. Bright Sun was everywhere with barely any clouds to be seen. As I said, a stiff, gusty East-Southeast wind was about, but hey! I'm okay as long as I can pedal. 25mph winds or no. The wind was enough from the Southeast that going South wasn't easy. But this wasn't going to be an all-day ride either, so I was okay.

My objective was to go see if I could ride Petrie Road's Level B section from the West to the East, then go over to Ansborough and back looping toward Waterloo again. I started from the house, so there was a fair amount of pavement and alleyways in this route. The recent heavy rains from the tropical storm, Cristobal, maybe would make that dirt road out there impassable, but there was only one way to find out- that would be to go ride it if I could. 

Petrie Road's Level B section looking in from the West end.
 Long time readers all know about Petrie Road. It is the nearest, good, section of Level B Maintenance road to me. I ride it often. It was also featured in Trans Iowa v12 just before Checkpoint #2. Unfortunately the day of that Trans Iowa this section was a cakewalk. Boy! I sure wish it would have been like it was Saturday!

I'm walking on the grassy section here about five feet above the road way, still in mud!
I had to walk to this point before I could ride again.
I got about 30 yards in on the West side before I had to get off and walk. I was in the South strip of grass, which eventually becomes a two to three foot wide grass choked 'shelf' hanging about five feet above the road bed. Even up off the sticky, cake-like muddy road bed, I was stepping in wet mud. The only thing keeping me from sliding off into the mire below was the vegetation.

Grass nearly chokes out the double track near the East end of Petrie Road's Level B section.
Crops sprout forth on a terraced field off Petrie Road.
Eventually I exited that muddy strip and then continued onward to the East up and down rollers until I reached Ansborough and then out of the blast of Easterly winds. Along the way, any farm on the South side of the road provided a wind break. These came at intervals which proved to be beneficial to my climbing the rollers, which was nice. Especially since the gravel was deep and freshly laid out here.

I don't think I've ever photographed this barn from the South side.
Freshly cut hay drying in the Sun. The smell of it was strong here.
The ride was a success. I got a good two and half hour ride in, I got my final information I needed to complete my tire review, and I enjoyed the communing with nature I got to engage in. Good 'head-clearing' time. That said, I think it is high time I replaced the drive train on the ol' Fargo. Signs of wear and tear are rearing their head. Worn parts, outside the drive train, like cables and housing, also need attention. No surprise. I have drug that bike through a few knotholes, so it is amazing it works as well as it does.

Good thing I have a few other bikes to ride in the meantime!

No comments: