Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Update On Upcoming "Events"

Next up on the "events schedule" will be the Fat Bike Century.
As many of you know I had most everything I had planned on doing back in January cancelled or postponed, you know- like everyone else has. Social distancing is probably still your best bet against getting this virus thing, so I have opted to do solo, or nearly solo, 'events' which I have devised for my own pleasure and/or pain.

The first one was successful with the Single Speed Century happening almost a month ago already. Next up for me will be the Fat Bike Century. I suppose it really should be called the Fat Bike Century v2, since I've already done one several years ago with Tony, my friend from the area here who joined me on that excursion.

I did that on the old Ti Muk, and this time it will happen on the Ti Muk 2, of course. It's pretty much ready to roll with the exception that I probably should add some sealant. It's been a long time since I last added any. But that should happen today and I'll get the rig cleaned up. I've only got to remove the big frame bag, add a couple water bottle cages, and that should do it.

The next 100 miler I want to do is my ride of this year's proposed Guitar Ted Death Ride Invitational route. I might have one companion for this, and I might not. Depends. The thing is, it for sure cannot be the 20 something numbers of people that it has been the last few years. Not with the COVID-19 thing still wreaking havoc around the country. So while some folks may think it is weak, I don't care. It's a stupid bike ride. No need to take chances with something I have zero control over that could just as easily result in someone getting permanently damaged or dead.

Likely rig for the solo GTDRI
 The route goes through several small villages and towns, so I think I can do this without carrying a ton of stuff. That puts the ride in the capabilities of the MCD. I'll likely throw on some light wheels, cushy tires, and go. I cannot remember the exact mileage I planned, seems 114 is about what I was thinking.

Some of that I am cutting out since this will be a solo route and there is no need to do Petrie Road again for the umpteenth time if I am not showing it to new folks to the road. So, that bit will get cut out and I'll straighten the route out Southward which should bring things down to under 110 miles. (And yes- that is a hint in the direction this is going in.)

 Since I'm not promoting these rides as group rides this year I am not giving out any dates as to when they are happening. That's just how I want things because I would hate it if someone got sick after coming to one of these last two 'events' I am doing. Sorry......not sorry. So, don't ask me when any of this is happening because I won't say. Even my wife won't know probably until the day before I go. Y'all will find out when I roll out a ride report. Some have asked me to say when I am doing things so they can ride at the same time where they are. Ah.......no. Not risking having someone just show up here. Plan a century ride soon and just do your thing. I am doing mine.

In the meantime I am gathering supplies and making a list to check over. Then it will be a matter of watching the weather for a good window to roll out in one of these two routes I have in mind.

No comments: