Saturday, June 27, 2020

Fat Bike Century: Update

Stripped down a bit. Getting ready.
With the Fat Bike Century next up on the schedule of 'events' for 2020, I had to buckle down and start getting the rig ready to go. The Ti Muk 2 was still pretty much set up in Commuter/Winter mode. I needed to convert the set up to one more in line with the mission of covering 100 miles of gravel.

Of course, getting this thing all muddy over Father's Day weekend was not a big help in achieving the goal. There was a LOT of dried on mud and the chain was a mess. Thankfully a Rohloff drive train meant no damage or extra cleaning was required for the most important part of the drive train. It pretty much makes this as easy as keeping care of a single speed drive train.

I removed a lot of dried on mud, and I still have a ways to go before I can say I'm satisfied there, but I made a big dent in the cleaning area. The chain cleaned up well, so I lubed it with DuMonde Tech, and ran through the gears in the hub, just because.

The main frame bag came off, a Tangle Bag went on, and I kitted out the set up with a spare fat bike tube, pump, and tools. Two stainless steel water bottle cages were fitted, and I removed the down tube splash guard. A small concession to being more aero! Ha! I'm going to use the Showers Pass Ranger hip pack for my extra clothing and nutrition needs. That bag is here on test for RidingGravel.com. I figure a century ride should be a good test.

I have to put a GPS mount for my Lezyne Super GPS on there, and figure out a couple of extra lights, but that will amount to an extra tail light and a blinker up front as I have the generator hub running a rear tail light and front light 24-7 already. So beyond that, I think I need to top off the sealant and that should do it.

Meanwhile I am going to draw up a couple of routes and pick one based on the wind the day I leave on this adventure. Which, by the way, will not be this weekend. I have more Riding Gravel stuff to get to first. So, stay tuned. The Fat Bike Century is coming sooner than later......

No comments: