Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Long Term Shimano GRX Review

The GRX component group I received last Fall on the day of the unboxing.
The shocking news last May that Shimano had released a purpose-built, stand-alone group of drive train parts for gravel riding is now something not even questioned. Think about that. We accept it as 'no big deal' now. Of course there is a gravel road drive train gruppo. Why wouldn't there be one

The fact that GRX was adopted so quickly says that gravel/all-road/adventure cycling has walked into the spotlight and it isn't some fringe activity we Mid-Westerners do in our spare time. It's serious business now, and Shimano legitimized gravel bikes in one fell swoop with the introduction of GRX.

Since I am a co-owner of RidingGravel.com, I was afforded the unique privilege of being one of the first people to get to handle, install, and ride GRX components. The review for the site was wrapped up earlier this year. I've continued to ride the GRX stuff since and I thought I would write up a follow-up post to this one I wrote last Fall. Instaed of hashing over all the well worn paths again concerning GRX, I thought I would address, point-by-point, my post from last Fall to see how I feel about those things after more than half a year has gone by and hundreds of miles of gravel riding.

So, if you want to know details about weights, technical aspects, and whatnot, just follow those links I have above, which should satisfy your curiosity. I'm going to try to stay in focus here on my thoughts from last fall. Here we go!
  • Shifting: I said it last Fall, and in speaking with someone just the other day about my GRX stuff, I basically said almost the same thing, word for word, more than 8 months later with no looking back at that post. I guess that means the GRX shifting really is that good! Now- I have had to tweak on the barrel adjuster a couple more times since last Fall, but really- is that unusual or surprising? The only way you are getting away from that is to upgrade to Di2. So, GRX is top-notch in the shifting department. 
  • Brakes: I also said this last year, and it stands to this day. Best Brakes For Drop Bar Bikes. Period. So easy to actuate the brake and from the hoods, you can one-finger these to stop on a dime. They are that easy to modulate and apply. No noises either. Not a peep. Amazing brakes!
  • Ergonomics: Hood shape and lever feel are still tops and what I said last year hasn't changed for me. I will only add one thing, If you prefer no-gloves, like me, and if you get really sweaty, the hoods get kinda slippery, and those ribs molded into the hoods don't help with grip very much. In fact, I have to wonder if the strips of raised rubber don't actually cause less grip when my hands are dripping with sweat. I might advocate for a smoother, perhaps slightly textured grip, or maybe an area based on the type of folds you see on some ODI lock on grips. Anyway, overall, this is my only serious let-down with GRX so far. If my hands are not dripping with sweat? I have zero issues. I didn't have the opportunity to experience this until this Summer, since I got on the GRX essentially on the cusp of Winter here. 
  • Ride Performance: Again- everything I said still holds true with the exception of the aforementioned ergonomic issue. I will add that as a 1X group, I was prepared to not get on with that aspect of the drive train. However, with Shimano's closer ratio cassettes, and with their easier shifting, I am smitten with the 1X drive train now. It still is not my preference, I just don't dislike it anymore. The quick shifting is great, but I still feel when the chain is at the extreme angles and a 2X would allow me to put the chain in a more efficient chain angle and still give me my gear I prefer at the moment. But that maybe is just me.......
  • GRX Wheels: When you think about Shimano, I don't think you will have "great wheels" come to your mind. Maybe I'm wrong, but if you are anything like me, Shimano wheels don't rank high against the competition. But, at a tick over $400.00 for the set, I have to say that the GRX wheels present a pretty great value. I have had zero issues with the set sent to me to test. Nothing. Tubeless performance has been excellent. Like I said last year, "In my opinion, these are wheels you just ride into the dirt, however long it takes, and you don't worry about them along the way." Nuff' said.
The GRX wheels and group here from the 4th of July ride I did recently.
Recently, Andy of Andy's Bike Shop got GRX stuff for his Twin Six Standard Rando v2 build and he absolutely loves the stuff. I know MG, who tested the Di2 stuff and the 2X mechanical 11 speed GRX loves it as well. There are a lot of newer bikes coming with GRX now, and a LOT of people are finding out how a purpose built group for the kind of cycling we do is worth its weight and trouble to get. Because GRX has been pretty hard to source unless you buy it on a new bike.

The Future: We mused on this during our latest recording of Episode #55 of the Riding Gravel Radio Ranch recently, but I cannot imagine that the all-new GRX Di2 type lever won't be trickled down to the mechanical group. I imagine a 12 speed Di2 option with a 2X or 1X option on the crank set. I imagine this being introduced ahead of a Dura Ace offering because gravel/all-road is more important than road racing now. (Wouldn't THAT be a shocker) I imagine Di2 integration with a Shimano sourced or branded, or co-partnered GPS computer/navigation system. I imagine a GRX Di2 type dropper post option which would be run electronically. I imagine a higher end GRX wheel set (Carbon perhaps?)

However it goes, I know that with GRX we are looking at a new era in cycling. I'm still excited about it, and I still think Shimano is tops in this type of cycling. Will we see SRAM or even Campy rise to the challenge? Time will tell........

Disclaimer: I did not pay for the GRX bits and Shimano did not bribe me, nor pay me to write this up. In fact, they are not even aware I am doing this here. As far as I know anyway.

4 comments:

MG said...

GRX in any form is a winner… Di2, mechanical, 1x, 2x, I'll happily ride any of it. Shimano did a fantastic job on the current group and it's exciting to think of what the future holds. It's a great time to love riding gravel!!

Barry said...

How does GRX compare to the road lines? Is it equivalent to 105?

Guitar Ted said...

@Barry - In terms of functionality, fit, and finish, the 11 speed 800 series GRX is equal to Ultegra. The 10 speed GRX is most like the current Tiagra.

Daniel said...

I'm also going to be using GRX on my Standard Rando. I went with 810 but the 600 cranks. Excited to use it.