Saturday, July 25, 2020

Why Is "Aero" A Dirty Word?

The Noble GX5 with FLO Cycling G700 wheels. (Why all the "G" stuff?)
Earlier in the week I posted my introduction to the FLO Cycling G700 wheel set on RidingGravel.com As I usually do, I shared the link on RG's social media outlets. Then the comments came.

Nothing unusual about that process, but what was said in particular about the aero wheels was......interesting. As we plod through 2020, maybe I could forgive anyone some grumpiness, but these comments are consistent with something I've found strange for years.

Anytime you brought up the subject of aerodynamic efficiencies for gravel riding you'd get poo-pooed at best and outright slammed for even thinking those 'dirty thoughts" at worst. Why? Even I could tell as early as 2012 that aero was something gravel riders should be paying attention to. I wrote up a review on the HED Ardennes+ wheels I got back then here on the blog which mentions "aero" a bit. I recall every time I did, someone would eventually tell me I was nuts and everyone else largely ignored me on the subject.

Too bad. The benefits are real. These newer designs, which concentrate on having big tires as part of the package, obviously work better than my old HED Ardennes+ wheels do, which, by the way, are still kicking around with lots of life left in them. Anyway, the obvious benefits to the deep section FLO Cycling wheels were the ability to cut through heavy cross winds, ease up on the effort in a headwind a bit, and the obvious push from the tail wind was there, just as I felt back in 2012 with the HED wheels.

Some may scoff. How can you fit a range of tires on there that would work aerodynamically? Well, FLO Cycling tested and found benefits at a certain range of widths. They adjusted the rim design accordingly. The best width to use is 37-40mm wide, and I have 42mm's on there, so I am a bit above what is "optimal", but there are still benefits. Make sense? FLO Cycling realized people would use varying tire widths and took that into account. Smart move. Had they made the wheel to work specifically with one tire, well......that's goofy. 

So, anyway....You may dismiss aero as being only for really fast roadies and tri-geeks all you want. I know it works on gravel too. It isn't a "dirty word" as some feel it is, judging by the responses to the subject I've noted. Also- it isn't just for the fast folks. Anyone can benefit. Or......just deny the benefits of aerodynamics and keep wearing loose, flappy clothing, sit upright, and ride box section wheels. Nothing at all wrong with that if you are into it. You be You. But don't complain about headwinds/crosswinds and wonder if there is something you could do to make it easier on you. There is something you could do. It's called "being more aerodynamic". It makes a difference. 

4 comments:

Ben said...

If you really want to ruffle some feathers you should talk about aero bars! I ride a lot and most of the time by myself. All my "grave" bikes have aero bars. I get flak but haters gonna hate, ha!

Guitar Ted said...

@Ben: I hadn't thought of that aspect of aero, but you are right about that ruffling some feathers. It also shows where some folks that use that tool don't see the benefit in wheels that are aero too, and that's pretty odd thinking. Anything aero helps. Whether or not it is for mass starts, or your perceived cuppa tea, is another issue altogether.

Skidmark said...

Nobody seems to make an aero picnic basket for my front rack.

tntmoriv said...

Aero makes THE difference above 14-15 mph air speed. Less than that, don’t worry about it; other losses like rolling resistance and wheel/rolling weight make the biggest difference. But if air speed, including headwind, is above 15 or so, it’s aero all the way. Position, wheels, bike, baggage, all of it.
So, Why Not get all the benefits you can from wheels, position, frame bags, etc.? I am just wondering....