Wednesday, July 01, 2020

Project Gravel Bus: Update

Parts, parts, and parts.....
Welcome to another boring edition of "Project Gravel Bus"! I hope that you find this nerdy, parts-focused post somewhat enjoyable. Here's the latest stuff I have accumulated for the upcoming build of the Twin Six Standard Rando v2 in "Saffron" (yeah.....right!), or in my world- "Project Gravel Bus".

As with any bike build, you are not really doing anything effective until you get the frame and fork connected with a headset. My choice was to pull this Cane Creek "Forty" headset from the parts bin. By the way, everyone knows that it should be spelled "fourty", not forty. But our language is a jacked-up mish-mash of stolen, borrowed, and made-up marketing hoo-hah mixed in with slang and whatever the "cool kidz" are saying these daze. So......excuse me....back on track now!

Ah......yeah. Next up are brakes because "stopping is a good thing". My choice in stoppers is from TRP and I will be using their Spyre brakes adapted for the flat mount up front matched with a 'real' flat mount brake out back along with their adapter for 140-160mm rotor in the back. Whew! Adapters! Why?! I don't know. Maybe because it's a deal where One Caliper rules them all and the Nine Adapters, sometimes referred to as the "Black Frustrators", run roughshod over our idea of what "Standards" should be. But don't ask me! I'm no "Bike Wizard" with a magic horse.

And shown here also is the mighty bag of doom and destruction from the Bike Bag Dude dubbed the Garage Top Tube Bag. The Bike Bag Dude is a wizard of the night and can conjure up baggage spells to sooth whatever carrying needs ail ya. To battle!

I also have things not shown. Not that I am being secretive, just too lazy to bring them home from the shop, or upstairs from the Lab to photograph. . These include my eccentric bottom bracket insert for PF30 from Wheels Manufacturing. The Surly Single Speed Spacer Kit is there as well. In the Lab lurks a carbon wheel set from Irwin Wheels dubbed the Aon GX-35, and my stem, seat post, saddle, and cables and housing. All very exciting things which I know you all really want to see and read about. I know...... Maybe someday! (<===HA!)

So, as you can see, there is only one major missing component, really, and that is the Twin Six Standard Rando v2 in "School Bus Yellow". (My color naming description) I hear it is coming soon, maybe even tomorrow? We will see. Late June/early July is what I was told, so we are in that window. Once it hits the floor at Andy's Bike Shop the dust will get stirred up, I'll chant a few spells of bike building wizardry, and hopefully all will settle into a beautiful new single speed gravel sled.

Stay tuned......

4 comments:

Scott said...

I have a couple of questions regarding singlespeed drivetrains in the modern 1x, 11/12 speed era. I've had several singlespeed bikes but I've always used a Surly cassette cog, a non-narrow wide chainring, and an 8 or 9 speed chain. Surly officially says their SS cogs are compatible with 6- to 9-speed 3/32" chains. Would a 10, 11, or 12 speed chain work with their cogs? I have the Surly spacer kit on a 10 speed freehub. Would an additional spacer need to be purchased to use the kit on an 11 speed freehub? My understanding is that an 11-speed freehub is slightly wider. And then there's the narrow wide chainring. Any limitations on what chain you can use on those? Finally, there's the issue of the chain. For SS you want a strong and reliable chain. Some folks will use a bmx chain on 3/32" chainrings and cogs. Some claim 10/11/12 speed chains are too narrow and weak. Others say that's not true.

Do you find any of these compatibility issues to be particularly important? I'd be curious to get some insight into your drivetrain choices as Gravel Bus comes together. Thanks!

Skidmark said...

Greets GT, Handlebar choice says it all. Are you staying conventional or going renegade?

Guitar Ted said...

@Skidmark - Not decided yet. This will depend upon what I have in the stash. Ritchey Designs VentureMax is one choice I have. Might be something else.....

@Scott - See the July 2nd posting for your answers. Thanks!

S.Fuller said...

I had to buy a "flatmount to flatmount adapter" (IE - Flatish Piece Of Black Metal With Four Holes) to mount a flatmount caliper on a different fork. *sigh*