Saturday, February 26, 2022

Guitar Ted "Lube-Off": Introducing The Contenders For 2022

Silca Super-Secret" Chain Lube
Okay! I have filled the two slots for the new round of the Guitar Ted Lube-Off for 2022's riding season. I had asked for your feedback on this and everyone was all on-board with the SILCA "Super-Secret" Chain Lube. So, that has been ordered up. It was rather fortuitous for me that at the time I placed the order, SILCA was offering 8 ounce bottles of the stuff for the price of a 4 ouncer. Bonus!

If you are not aware, the Super-Secret formula is supposedly like SILCA's melted wax product for chains so we will see about that. As stated, I'll be putting this on a brand new, scrubbed up Shimano 11 speed chain and that will be installed on the Raleigh Tamland Two. 

I have that chain already, so I'll be getting that prepped, cleaning up the cassette and chain rings, and getting everything spiffed up for this test.

Now, that left me searching for a second lubricant to add to this test. You- my dear readers- did not give me much of any indication that you wanted to see another lube, so I was on my own to find something to use here. That's a dangerous thing to do folks! Because left to my own devices, I can sometimes come up with crazy ideas, and I think you are going to find that my second choice is a bit off the wall. 

Originally I had Allied Cycles "Grax" on my radar, but they think their stuff is all that, and the price was pretty dear. I was hesitant to spend well over 20 bucks with shipping to get 4 ounces of lubricant that may not do all that great. And even if it did......wow! 

Sheep oil = lanolin. I'm giving it a try!

 
So, I started looking and I found something pretty unique and which has a feature that many lubricants claim to have, but do they really? That is being a friend to our environment. 

I found this stuff from a company called "Eco Sheep" made from "sheep oil", which is basically lanolin. Sheep produce this oily/waxy substance on their wool to help them become water repellent and safe from dirt and pests. It is removed from their wool after shearing in a process called 'scouring' and turned into cosmetics, cremes, oils, and more. 

One source I found claims sheep oil is water repellent, protects against salt water, and penetrates into chains for better than petroleum based lubricant performance. 

I thought it sounded intriguing, but what sold me was that it is free of petrochemicals and completely biodegradable. Lot's of other lubricants for chains claim this, but being this is a naturally produced product, I am a bit more apt to believe these claims. 

Anyway, as a side bonus the 3.5 ounces I am getting cost me less than half of the Grax stuff, which yeah..... Who knows what's in that bottle. I really am hopeful that this works because if it does I think it would be a great alternative to the mainstream lubricants, many of which have harmful PTFE's and other nasties in their formulas. 

And furthermore; this series of "Lube-Off" rounds I have conducted over the years has included some pretty odd-ball brands and types of lubricants. So why not sheep oil! 

Stay tuned.....

2 comments:

DT said...

Looking forward to it as always! Just curious, did you ever do the Silca Synergetic lube? Embarassingly enough I have both the Super Secret AND Synergetic brand new in the bottle; and yet I continue to use up the Rock N Roll Gold and NFS that aren't empty yet.

Guitar Ted said...

@DT - I have not done the Synergetic Lube and it is on my list of lubes to try. I just did not want to load this round with products all from SILCA.