Thursday, February 03, 2022

Randomonium

 NOTE: Okay folks, if you haven't been around long enough here to know what a "Randomonium" post is, then here is the deal. I ramble, rant, and randomly moan about all things cycling in one, incohesive, bizarre post. "Randomonium", okay?

The Cotic Cascade
Fargo-like Bikes Appear To Satisfy Fat Tire Adventurers:

Recently I've noted that there is a rash of drop bar adventure bike choices out there now which can trace their lineage back to Salsa Cycle's original Fargo. Modernized a bit, to be sure, and set up with all the "Adventure Warts®" one could ever need. (Note- the term "Adventure Warts®" is my technical term for mounting bosses. ) 

The brand-spankin' new Cotic (Like 'psycotic' without the 'psy') Cascade model being one such introduction. This particular model derives more from a Gen 2 Fargo since it has a suspension corrected fork and no single speed option. Then there is the Panorama Cycles Taiga EXP which is more reminiscent of a current Fargo with a single speed option in the sliding rear drop outs. The Singular Gryphon is also set to make a comeback, but I'll have more to say about that one tomorrow along with some words about Panorama's flat bar Taiga bike on Saturday. 

Grinder Nationals Moves Venue:

The US Endurance sanctioning group has held a Gravel Grinder Nationals in Lawrence, Kansas for the past five years. Winners in each category have been awarded National Championship jerseys. Did you know that? Yep! Way before the bunch over at USA Cycling got a whiff of the gravel scene, these US Endurance folks have been paying attention and jumped in a while back. 

Anyway, after five years in the same place, US Endurance is moving Grinder Nationals. Here's a bit from the press release:

"After a 5-year residency in Lawrence, Kansas, the Gravel
Grinder National Championship presented by US Endurance is moving to the MidAtlantic and
scheduled to take place in beautiful Loudoun County, Virginia on May 7, 2022. Registration opens
Tuesday, February 1, 2022 on BikeReg.com

This year’s event, in conjunction with Dirty Kitten Productions, will feature a 100-mile “Grinder
Nationals” championship race and a 30-mile “Mini G” recreational ride on historic Loudoun
County gravel roads. Riders will start at B Chord Brewing Company & Farm in Round Hill, VA then
wind their way through the surrounding areas of Bluemont, Philomont, Purcellville, and Lovettsville.
"

Registration is HERE and you can check out more details at their website

Rim profiles for the new "Send" rims from Black Bird.
Interesting New Rim Extrusion For MTB From Black Bird:

Rims for bicycle wheels have changed a lot in the past 20 years. Probably the most notable advancement has been in materials technology which has allowed for carbon fiber to be utilized as a material suitable for making rims for all manner of bicycles. 

One thing that has come out of the carbon rim designs of recent years is a use of a wider rim bead/edge to help tires not pinch flat when ridden at lowered pressures and on rocky terrain. Carbon is pretty easy to mold into any shape, so this feature was typically reserved for the most expensive of rims for mountain and gravel biking. 

Well, Ibis Cycles has now spun off a new brand and have designed an aluminum extrusion which mimics the same benefits in terms of pinch flat protection for enduro MTB racing, and presumably, any suitable mountain biking style. The brand Ibis created is called "Black Bird" and the new rim model is called the "Send". 

Ibis cleverly engineered a hollow section at the bead, creating the wider, blunter profile that carbon has utilized for a rim bead, but without the weight penalty of a solid aluminum structure there. The Send II model goes one step further with an extrusion featuring a supportive "strut" underneath the rim bead which further stiffens and strengthens the entire rim. 

Comments: This feature of the Black Bird Send rims is not completely unheard of. I searched the internet and found a few examples of hollow rim bead extrusions, but it is rare, and in this application, totally unique. It would be interesting to see this brought over to the gravel riding segment.

A Country View from 2015
Thinking About 'Riding Plans' Instead Of 'Events':

So, I see events are starting to really push registrations and therefore, commitments, for 2022. Can't say as I blame anyone on either side of the equation here. Promoters are eager to host folks after two years of sparse event choices and riders are eager to rub shoulders with other riders. 

I get that. However; if I've learned anything over this past two year period it is that I dearly love making my own challenges and I don't like the pressures associated with getting ready, preparing to travel, and dealing with logistics that are part and parcel of going to an 'event'. Not to mention the monetary commitment. 

I'm not saying "I'm not doing events." NO! Not at all. I am saying that it will have to be a pretty darn special deal if I am going to put up with the pressures and stresses created by how I deal with events. It's a personal issue, I am sure, and many of you probably don't understand why I wouldn't want to do a bunch of events on gravel. Just think about all the "fun" I'd miss out on by secluding myself to only what I want to put up with. 

I understand completely why many of you might be thinking that. I say- you do you. I'm not saying you should not go all over and see all kinds of people and ride rad gravel events and get all the props for finishing that you deserve. Good on ya! It just doesn't really do much for me anymore. 

I do like riding.On gravel. A LOT! Just not with a number pinned on and all that comes with that. I like stopping, or going, when I like, or when a small group likes to, and not being caught up in big time event pressures. If I want to lay in a ditch and take a nap, (like I did at Gravel Worlds more than once, and elsewhere) I don't want to feel 'bad' about that. If I decide to cut my day short, I don't want to feel like I 'wasted my money' or disappointed anyone rooting for me because it was an event. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars to travel and stay in a motel when I could camp, or ride somewhere near Waterloo. 

I've done all that and I've stayed around here and have done my own 'riding plans' and I know which way was more fun. So, unless an event is REALLY compelling, yeah...... I'm not real sure I'll be going to anything soon. Not saying 'never going anywhere', far from it. I just have really enjoyed things like my "quest" in 2020 and the ToBHC that I did last year. More of that- less of the organized, big production stuff for me. 

That's a wrap on this Randomonium. Thank you for reading Guitar Ted Productions

11 comments:

Jeb said...

+1 on your riding plans. I feel pretty much the same.

Guitar Ted said...

@Jeb - Yeah, and my feelings were reinforced by today's announcement by Gravel Worlds. Corporate naming rights just seem so anti-grassroots gravel to me. Just doesn't sit right.....

CrossTrail said...

You're always welcome out here in the Black Hills, Mark. I'll custom design routes better than a destination event, without the hoopla. And without anyone else out there, for that matter, unless you bring some friends or let me ride along.

Guitar Ted said...

@CrossTrail - Noted and Thank You!

JimpanZ said...

My buddies and I do a Paris- Roubaix in Hastings MI on our own when it suits us. No scrounging around for accommodations and the same great local breweries without the crowds.

Travel Gravel said...

Thanks for the pronunciation note on Cotic, I consistently had that one wrong! I saw a video about mispronounced cycling brands (GCN) that should have featured that one. I don't know how long I could ride that without fearing that the fork was about to fold up though! Best wishes for the new work gig. The DesMoines equivalent is great. I imagine myself building up tons of cool and freaky bikes at such a place!

Guitar Ted said...

@JimpanZ - That sounds like a good time! Thanks for the comment.

Guitar Ted said...

@Travel Gravel - I found that I was mispronouncing 'Cotic' one day when I was checking out their site and I found an explanation for the name of the company.

Thanks for the well wishes!

Rydn9ers said...

Rode the Gravel Grinder Nationals once, when it was still knows as the Gravelleur's Raid and really enjoyed the event. Haven't been back but I am sure it's still a great event... but it always stuck me as odd that they were holding a "National Championship" event in May, well before most of the gravel season really got rolling. Maybe someone will bring the old GR back, we can always hope.

Brett said...

Does anyone know why Grinder Nationals moved? I rode in the Gravelleur's Raid several years (that was the 50 mile course) and it was always a great event. I think it's departure will be missed!

Guitar Ted said...

@Brett - I do not know why they moved the event. It could have been for several reasons that I could think of. If I find out I'll post back unless I get a comment telling us what we are wanting to know here.