Thursday, August 11, 2022

Country Views: That Was The Worst

Escape Route: Commercial Street, downtown Waterloo.
Well, I had done a little test ride on a multi-surface ride on Monday, and on Tuesday I followed that up with a half and half ride made up of bike path, roads, and gravel. Following on Monday's heels, Tuesday was also cooler, but with bright Sunshine, not the dreary clouds hurrying on the Northwest wind that I rode under on Monday. 

The wind was something of a thing on Tuesday, but it wasn't terrible. It was out of the Southeast now, but it was only strong enough to make the flags flutter in the breeze. 

I grabbed the Standard Rando and headed downtown where I decided to head downstream beside the Cedar River to Evansdale where I was planning on hooking up with the Cedar Valley Nature Trail. Just as I got to the trail head, I met a gang of electrified cyclists. Elderly folks. It was neat to see their smiling faces and to see them scooting along at a brisk clip. Whatever electric bikes they had were odd little wheeled things with really long stems and a bolt upright seated positioning.

I ditched the CVNT up where you see that stop sign for Shaulis Road.

That led me to this gravel road. Weideman Road, which runs parallel to the CVNT for a bit (To the right here)

I hadn't been out poking around on the odds and ends of gravel off the CVNT and near Washburn, Iowa for some time, so I had a hankering to go visit those roads again. I didn't really know much about them until I did "The Quest" back in 2020. 

The gravel portion of McKellar Road. It eventually turns into a dirt road.

This auto repair place on Foulk Road had this weird yellow moss on the roof.

I found a freshly graveled road out there that was not signed and which I had no recollection of. So, you know I had to go explore it! It went on about a half a mile until it petered out at this large roofed warehouse looking building that was partially built into the ground on the East side. Weird! I turned tail and then headed up McKellar Road to Foulk and then South again. 

Much needed rest stop on the bridge over Miller Creek on Quarry Road.

Back at it on Quarry Road. I really enjoy this section.

 Let me tell you something- The fresh gravel on Foulk Road was the worst. The most foul, deep, loose stuff imaginable. My bike was vibrating so much my hands went numb, and that was with a ShockStop Stem! Yeah, that was zero fun, but I tucked my head down, got into the drops, and promised myself a break on the bridge over Miller Creek on Quarry Road once I got there. 

Once I arrived at the bridge, I sat down on the concrete riser which the aluminum railings are attached to, and I zoned out for a bit. I was in no hurry on this beautiful day and so I just sat there and enjoyed a short break. After several minutes, I was back at it going up Quarry Road, which was a bit better than the previous slog. 

The sky was full of barn swallows here. You can see several on the electrical line on the left

I was a little dismayed by the disappearance of another barn. This one was on the corner of Griffith Road and Ansborough Road. I don't know if the wind storm damaged it back in July, but there was zero trace of the structure left. All that remains is the level spot made on the property which the barn sat on. 

Once again, things are shown to be changing in the rural areas and those old barns will be disappearing one after another over the decades. Few will remain in 20 years. Most of them that I see now are dilapidated and in need of an extreme amount of restoration, which is unfeasible now as barns have no use for farming these days. Enjoy those structures while you can folks! 

It was a very tiring ride. That rough gravel! Whoa! I sure hope I don't run across any of that again soon. But as with any ride, it is better than no ride, and what a great day to be out!

No comments: