Friday, October 05, 2007

Why I Ride

You know, sometimes I just have to check myself. I tend to see things under a microscope, what with the gigs I have going in the bicycle business and all. Looking at this issue and that new product, and every minute detail of a new bike. It takes away from the basic reasons I am involved in the bike business in the first place sometimes. It's like not being able to see the forest for the trees kind of thing.

The minutiae of daily looking at all of this stuff is not only distracting me from my true passion, but it's draining sometimes too. It sucks the life out of what really is important. Not just in terms of cycling either.

So what is it that I've lost focus on? What is it that I need to do to get back on track? I think I have a good answer, no.........make that answers to that question.

#1. Just ride a bike- any ol' bike!

This is probably the best cure for getting out of the geek mode I've been in for the last weeks. Just enjoying being out doors and pedaling some two wheeled contraption, not worrying about fork off set, suspension settings, or (GASP!) vertical compliance. Ha!

#2. Take my eyes off "cycling" for a bit, and put them on people.

Yep! Sometimes you get too focused. I think that it comes at the expense of some people that should get that attention. Family, friends, acquaintances, and just people that you meet that deserve being paid attention to. Time is too short to miss out on opportunities that might not repeat themselves in the future. It's nice if you can combine that with cycling or cycling related activities, but that's not always possible. Sometimes you just have to let go and spend some time away from the bike and all it's related stuff, ya know?

So this weekend I've got some good reasons to be away from cycling and I'm not going to beat myself up about it. I might even ride my bicycle, but not for cycling purposes. Nope, it'll be just for fun. For the joy of two wheels.

See ya down the trail!

No comments: