Getting back to an idea I was bandying about last March, (see post here), I wanted to throw out some more ideas and get back up to speed with where my head is at on this idea.
First off, there are only a few vague details I am certain will be part of this, and to recap, here they are in no particular order.....
- It will be a three day, (likely Friday evening, Saturday, Sunday), event to start out with.
- It doesn't necessarily have to all be in Iowa, be in Iowa at all, or it could all be in Iowa. The route is open for discussion at this point.
- It will not be run by Guitar Ted. I may or may not end up having a hand in this. If it never gets anywhere, I am okay with that.
- It must be a free event, self supported, and self navigated. There may be some modification to this dependent upon the final formatting of the event.
- My part will be as an adviser/facilitator person to get the idea off the ground. Why? Because I have enough irons in the fire, and I just want to see something like this take off.
- Having the Friday portion, or "stage", if you will, be a night time event.
- Perhaps include an individual time trial.
- Perhaps have the entire event be based on 3-5 man teams that must ride together at all times.
- Perhaps make one stage a "criterium", which could come into and go out of a small town, making it spectator friendly.
- Riders or teams could accumulate "points", not necessarily based on time, or the event could be about time, or it could be about both, featuring "bonuses".
- There could be "preems".
Want to talk about it? Shoot me an e-mail, or show up at the GTDRI and we can chat. For now, I'll let the idea simmer till after the GTDRI happens, and then I'll make a decision for myself as to where I will be going from that point. In the meantime, if I hear about others that are going to "borrow" this idea, it is okay, just give me some credit for inspiration. That's all I ask.