Monday, August 13, 2012

Rainy Day Experimenting

New wheels for the Orange Crush
Well, it was a good thing I wasted my legs on Saturday, because Sunday was a, (much needed, much appreciated), washout. It rained steadily off and on for most of the day, making any effort to ride an unwise decision for the most part. Not that you can not ride in the rain, but for mountain biking and gravel, it isn't preferable or a good idea at all at times.

So anyway, I decided that it was as good a time as any to mount up the new A23's in silver I just got not long ago. While I was at it, I used some Velocity tubeless tape and valves to try and do the tubeless thing with skinny(er) tires than I usually do. These are the X'Plor USH tires that will be stock on Salsa Cycles Warbird bikes, just so you know. Well, the tubeless process is well understood by me, and I will report that these tires are not super easy to set up tubeless. Experienced folk with the process will have to use most every trick to get these to go tubeless on Velocity A23's, at any rate. I'm not 100% stoked on how they will turn out, but so far.....

I am stoked on the silver rims/hubs on the Orange Crush from Black Mountain Cycles. This is how I had envisioned the build from the get-go. Classic silver parts are just really good looking, and the Orange Crush comes off in a totally different way with these wheels. The new Velocity silver color is a result of actual polishing of the metal and then is clear anodized to preserve the shine. All made in the U.S.A. as well, by the way.

I'll be doing some testing with the tubeless thing if the Clements can hold air for any length of time tubeless. Not knocking Clement here, so don't get me wrong. These are not tubeless tires. I understand the risks involved and will be fully okay with it if they do not go tubeless, as I hope they will. Besides that, there is something else in the works that will be going on as a test product on this bike. Stay tuned for that and more soon....

5 comments:

MG said...

I've had similar experience with other non-tubeless tires... Typically, you'll eventually seal the casings up, as I know you know. It's just a matter of how much you're willing to (in time and cost) to get there. I've had luck on particularly tough tires putting a tube in and letting the tire "dry out", and then converting it back to tubeless. Typically it seals up better the second time after it's been dried out (after being well-soaked with latex sealant of coursse).

Good luck! If you get it, those tires should be rocket fast set up tubeless.

Cheers,
MG

Guitar Ted said...

@MG: Thanks Brother! My issue is with the beads. They are leaking like a sieve. Might be an issue with the rim/tire combo, or..... Dunno. But you are right. Eventually I should get them to go. I'll keep trying.....

Adam said...

Out of curiosity, are those the new "tubeless ready" A23's that I've heard about, or are they the originals? I'm curious as to how the channel and bead hook are different, and if they work better. Keep us updated on your results!

Guitar Ted said...

@Adam: I never tried tubeless with the old A-23's, and yes- these are the new A-23's that are supposedly using the tubeless profile. If you are at all familiar with Velocity's tubeless Blunt SL or P-35, the bead seat is more like a simple shelf, not a "channel", as some others use.

The tires seem to have a chafer bead/bead shape that allows a lot of leakage. My attempts so far have not yielded a true seal yet, but I'm still working on it. Stay tuned....

Adam said...

Definitely keep us posted. Here in the Pacific NW, lots of folks have apparently had great luck mounting the Clement PDX's tubeless, and I'm hoping their adventure tires will eventually yield the same results.