Tuesday, May 20, 2014

A Mid-Fat Future? Part 2-The Evidence

 The evidence
Last week I posted here on my "totally nuts" idea that in the future we would be rolling on fat, 584ISO rim diameter wheels with voluminous tires. Dubbed "B+" by some, it is actually a reality, and I knew that going in, but I had been sworn to secrecy. Well, now the "cat is outta the bag" since I saw a story on B+ specifics published in the latest "Bicycle Retailer and Industry News". I can speak a little more freely now......

Ironically enough, (or maybe not), the B+ idea is being championed by some of the very same folks that pushed the 29"er idea forward and in 1999 produced "The Tire". Mark Slate, WTB's tire designer and mtb pioneer, has a side project called OS Bikes, which many of you long time readers here know about since I own one. Apparently, this new idea will fit my Blackbuck. Guess what I'll be doing later in the year.......?

Of course, the naysayers and "haters" will be out enforce with reasons why this is dumb, but think about this- What if you are already sitting on a 29"er hard tail, maybe a single speed, that could fit such a tire with a wide rim like WTB is going to make? You could run a standard 29"er wheel set, then swap in a "fatter" set of wheels with the big rubber and extend the capabilities of your bike. Maybe not a "true fat" bike experience, but maybe faster, more fun, and capable on softer surfaces and rocks. Sound like fun? Stay tuned..........

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the idea of having two wheelsets available for a 29er and am hoping this tire will slot into my On-One Scandal. This bike can already run a couple different styles of drivetrains with the Swapout system, so perhaps now I will be able to make it even more versatile.

Leslie said...

A fat 650b, eh?

I love it!