Saturday, July 14, 2018

Minus Ten Review - 28

The Blackbuck, day lilies, and a muddy Cedar River
Ten years ago this week I was busy getting together the third Guitar Ted Death Ride Invitational. The plan was modified in the last days leading up to this one so that I could accommodate a special guest, Jason Boucher, then the head honch of Salsa Cycles. I've mentioned a few times here why this GTDRI was a special one, but since that will come out soon enough, you'll just have to wait for the full story.

Here is a little tidbit of info I posted about the GTDRI back in '08:

"Ride Intent: I sometimes wish I hadn't chosen the name I did for this ride. It has been a source of confusion and misunderstanding from the outset. Some of you got it right away though, so I know that not everyone falls into this category. Here's the two things most commonly misconstrued concerning GTDRI.

#1 It's not a race, it's not a "group ride" (using that term to describe the competitive nature generally found on such rides), and it's not a training ride. Nope! It's not any of those things at all. It's something else altogether. So, if your expectations are that we are racing, competitive, or even going to go at it at a training pace, you are barking up the wrong tree.

#2: It's open to anyone not interested in racing or training. (In the strictest sense of those terms) It's open to anyone that just wants to go on a long ride that happens to be tough. You don't necessarily need an "invite", even though I've used the term in the name. It was done tongue in cheek. It's kind of a joke, okay. So please, if you are cool with long rides more for fun than anything else, check us out."

No comments: