Wednesday, July 15, 2020

It's All Downhill From Here

Heading into the unknown: Image by Wally Kilburg
2020 is more than halfway over. This messed up, surprising, socially distanced, shut down, cancelled, postponed, and weirder than you could imagine year is now officially on the backside. It's all downhill from here......

Now with all the Summer stuff bagged and Fall coming on hard, there are signs of some gravel events coming back and doing things, maybe a bit differently, but doing things. Most of these are smaller events, but I do know that unPAved of the Susquehanna River Valley in Pennsylvania is happening this coming October and that event is 200 plus folks. They have some pretty strict guidelines as well, including temperature checks, questionnaires on two consecutive days which must be answered, and mandatory mask wearing areas, including on-course aid stations. (I'll be interviewing Dave Pryor, one of the RD's of this event this week for an upcoming "Riding Gravel Radio Ranch" podcast. Stay tuned for that.)

I seriously doubt most rural gravel events are doing anything other than asking folks not to gather in big groups, if they are even doing that at all. Does that matter? Some events have already happened and well...... I haven't heard anything negative. But that doesn't mean holding events is the right thing to do either. I think no one has a right or wrong answer right now.

I can only say that, for me, there is no way I am doing any events the rest of 2020. Maybe I'm being overly cautious, silly, maybe even some will say I am stupid. That's fine. I just want to say that I don't care what anyone else says or thinks. For me, racing, big gatherings, or social events combining both- I am in no hurry to get back to those things. I have patience and am more than willing to wait. Besides, I am having fun 'just riding a bike' these days without having some event I paid to be in, and one I feel obligated to train for, looming over my head. Maybe that is just me. Perhaps others have to have that 'end goal' to get motivated to work out on the bike. But I've seen more than one person on social media posting about how they are just fine without racing.

So, will all of these things permanently change the way gravel events look in the future? Maybe. Some will realize they don't need events. Some will realize what they really want is to socially ride on a gravel loop and just have fun. And others are itching just to get things 'back to normal' again, if that is even possible.

I miss riding with people to a degree. I miss the big social gatherings a bit, for sure. But as long as I am healthy, able, and have bicycles, I am all good with that. The rest is nice, don't get me wrong, and I hope to participate when I am ready and the COVID thing has run its course. Until then, I will be heading at high speed toward the end of the year on any gravel road I can. Probably solo.

But who knows.......I don't know.

2 comments:

Tyler Loewens said...

"I have patience and am more than willing to wait. Besides, I am having fun 'just riding a bike' these days without having some event I paid to be in, and one I feel obligated to train for, looming over my head. Maybe that is just me."

Not just you. I was training for 24HOP late last year into this year. I didn't make that race for normal reasons (team member health issues). I got CIRREM in which was great. I then started training for the normal MTB race season.

The challenging part was trying to keep motivation high while races in the series kept dropping off one by one. When the series was fully canceled for the year, it left me in a funk. I tried creating a 10 lap personal challenge which was motivating for a bit, but not long.

Ultimately I am at ap lace right now where I "train" once or twice a week, but otherwise just ride. There is a surprising amount of guilt associated with that for me, but I am slowly realizing this could be a great year to just adventure and ride for the fun of it.

youcancallmeAl said...

Yes you do know! One only has to look at other countries to see your way is the ONLY safe way