Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Simplified Or Just Lazy?

I was reading the last post by Matt Chester yesterday, and I was struck by several things. One of the main things that I took away from that, and always have anytime I read something from Matt, is the struggle to simplify. It's not easy! It seems that this life we live is an ant trap and we are constantly getting further in the hole the more we struggle to get out of it. Anyway, I could wax philosophical for paragraphs here, but I'll resist that temptation.

The bicycle related angle to all of this has to do with single speed bikes. Yeah.........I know! That's a philosophical ant trap in itself. I really do not want to go there. My angle is a little more practical and, well........more experiential than philosophical. Then again, maybe I'm just lazy!

You see, I grew up on one speed. I suppose alot of you did too. I never had a multi-speed drivetrain until I had a drivers license. (Things got complicated in a hurry!) I didn't get another single speeder until about three years ago. In the time inbetween, I had several derailluer equipped bikes, and many fine experiences. However, I always had that maintenance issue, and then the constant changes! You know........seven speed, then eight. Ah, that's fine! Whoops! Now my eight are obsolete? Wha?!!!.......... And the expense, the wear issues, the constant fine tuning. It wasn't like I couldn't do all of that. It was just all so complicated. Don't get me wrong. Gears are good, and I have plenty of derailluer equipped bikes. It's just that I always pull out that single speed to ride. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's just a whole lot less. Less to think about. That leaves space for some other stuff. Stuff that I enjoy.

I guess maybe it's got something to do with what Matt was trying to do when he shut down his blog the other day.

Simplify.

Calm down.

(Thanks for that influence, Matt.)

So, how about you? Single speed or gears? Doesn't make a difference as long as it's a bike? That's cool too. Me? I'm ridin' the ss today........................

..........................then again, maybe I'm just lazy!

No comments: