Sunday, July 19, 2015

Gone Racin'

Pretty sure this is the winning car from Saturday night right after it qualified.
Apologies for the non-posting over the weekend, but I have season tickets to Iowa Speedway, courtesy of my Mom, and I was gone to see the Iowa Corn 300 Indy car race with my son.

So, I know many of you may not be into motorsports, and that's cool, but I've had "total immersion" since before I can remember anything.

My Dad was a dirt track driver and served on a pit crew for a time. I was drug around in the back end of a '56 Nomad all across the state to dirt tracks every weekend of the racing season as my Dad wrenched on this fellows car and we were sitting up on the boards watching as dirt clods flew by our heads. After a while, my dad quit the crewing job, but we still went to the races religiously for years afterward. That's where my love of loud cars and racing was formed and I still have a soft spot in my heart for motorsports to this day. Mostly NASCAR, because that's the sort of racing I was brought up on, only in the dirt.

So, there's a little something you may have not known about me. Like I say, not everyone is into auto racing, and that's understandable. I have been a student of racing since I was a kid, so it's hard for me to leave that behind. Of course, getting season tickets to Iowa Speedway only makes it so that I just have to go and see the shows these men and women put on. The show this time was Indy cars, as I have said, and the race was really good. Glad to have witnessed it.

So, with that itch scratched for a couple weeks, it's back to bicycles.......


No comments: