Monday, December 23, 2019

Shifting Gears

This has been a looooong time coming. So, hang on, because I have to start this tale at the beginning, and that goes back 17 years and three months ago, give or take a few days. It was 2002, and I had a young daughter, only a year and a half old, and I wanted to get out of the car fixing business. That was a great job with an awesome, business savvy boss and fun co-workers, and I made a LOT of money doing that. I had benefits, a 401K, insurance, and the whole nine yards. But......I didn't want to be THAT kind of father. I was working 60+ hours a week, and I would be dead tired at the end of the day. Plus, I had to work six days a week every other week. It was too much, in my mind, for me to be a good Dad. I needed to change jobs to be the father I was wanting to be.

That's me back in 2005 at my bench. Image probably taken by Jeff Kerkove.
And in September of 2002 I did. I started working at the bike shop.  I ended up being a part timer for many years, with little to no benefits, no  retirement, no insurance, and a boss that was the polar opposite of my boss at the auto repair shop. I took a HUGE pay cut. But in return I didn't have to work nights, weekends, and I got Holidays off. I got one week paid vacation, and later on, two weeks. For a while I got paid holidays too. But the biggest benefit of all was that I could, at a moments notice, take care of family matters with no repercussions. I could be there for my kids to take them to school every morning, and pick them up in the afternoons. I got Wednesdays off for years. This helped a ton with my review work. It was low stress and a lot healthier lifestyle, despite the lack of benefits you'd normally associate with a job. I was very fortunate to be able to raise my two kids in this era of my life with this employment situation. I was also very fortunate that I met many of the people I have met because I was in this job. I am well aware of that part.

But then things went bad. I cannot say much about the business here.  (You know what they say- If you can't say anything good, don't say anything at all.) As far as how things were going personally, about three years ago, with no warning, my paid vacation and holiday pay were yanked. It became increasingly clear that something was deeply wrong at my place of employment. About a year, year and a half ago, I started looking into my options. The kids are grown, I didn't get the same benefit out of working there anymore. The plan was to move on in the Spring of this year, but circumstances didn't pan out.

Meanwhile, things got worse. My hours were cut again and again due to poor business decisions. Repair and maintenance work disappeared due to the appearances that the shop was in trouble. There was a new shop and many good customers went there instead during late 2019. Things got weird at work with management, then they got weirder. On December 1st, I found out via Facebook that the shop was closing its doors for good on December 31st. (Not that I was surprised, mind you, it was the principle of the thing that got to me) Maybe someday I can release details, but for now, all you need to know is that I no longer work for Europa Cycle & Ski. I terminated my relationship with that shop as of last Friday.

My work area during my last days at the shop.

I knew the end was coming for quite some time and I had been moving my things back home piece by piece over the Spring and Summer. The "situation" has been obvious to many, I know, and I wasn't blind to it either. By the time December came I had pared my tools back to a bare minimum to do basic stuff. Not that there was much to do....

Switching gears now will be tough until I can enter whatever will be my next phase in my employment life. I'm excited for that, and I know I will be a LOT better off than I have been for several years. But until then, I have to muddle through for a while. It'll be okay. I've managed to save some money, and I have some odd jobs lined up. It'll be tight, but change is never easy, is it?

Stay tuned.........

18 comments:

Will on the tools said...

Wishing you the best, Mr G Ted.
(Been enjoying the blog for a little while now)

Djmack said...

Sorry about the loss of your job good luck with your future endeavors.Dan

bnelson said...

good luck gt you have many friends you will be good

Tim said...

From personal experience, there is relief leaving a job situation behind without knowing what is ahead. You are a creative and reliable person with integrity, Mark. Set sail and keep exploring options!

FarleyBob said...

Good luck Mark! You know what they say...when one door closes...another one opens! You'll come out on top!

Skidmark said...

Seems traditional BikeShops are becoming dinosaurs. Online sales may work OK but online repairs- not so much. Good luck.

Nebo said...

A jeweler, an auto mechanic, a bicycle mechanic and a musician. You have quite a resume. I've read your blog for so long that I feel like I know you. You're a man with integrity and principles. I"m sure of that. I'm sure the next chapter of your saga will be just as rewarding and interesting as the past. Like many others, I wish all the best for you.

Scoletrain said...

Good luck Mark with all your future endeavors! Change is never easy, but sometimes it's for the better.

bluecolnago said...

I really have no words. I've watched over the past few years as other folks have opened their shops and hung out their shingle, making it harder and harder for the folks who have served the area for so many years. I guess that, in reality, if your shop is good at what they do they shouldn't have to worry too much about competition. You have already alluded to that here. I went through it in the early 1980s in heating and air conditioning. There was an HVAC dealer on every corner and the economy took a dive. Not the same here, now, but... It cannot last, whether an over saturated marked, a poor economy, bad business practices, the fooking internet, whatever. I'm sorry to hear that you will no longer be there. I actually thought that there was a buyer who was planning to continue the business. Anyway... I wish you the best, my Friend. Peace.

Jeremy Kershaw said...

Good Luck to you GT!

Solstice Gravel said...

Wishing the best for you GT! I'm sure you'll land back on your feet.....or wheels, as it may be! Merry Christmas buddy!!

jdc said...

It's most certainly true that our industry isn't what it used to be for the brick and mortar shop. At any rate, I have no doubt that you'll land squarely on your feet.

Zeroack said...

Keep your head up. Good things happen to good folk and you sir are one of the best.

DT said...

I noticed the closing on Facebook as well. I am glad I got to stop by in April and see you there before you left. I've said it here before, there has to be some way you can monetize your influence and knowledge on this booming segment of the cycling market. That said, if there are some trying times coming up, just know that you'll come out better on the other side.

Rydn9ers said...

Oh man, finding out through Facebook has got to be tough. Good luck on the job search and I look forward to reading about this new adventure.

MuddyMatt said...

Amazing to think yourself AND Mr Kerkove have come through your place of employment! Sorry it has ended the way it has but you have grown a global audience over that period with your writing that I hope that can be a continued benefit. I totally agree - after paying down your costs, time is more important than anything.

Good luck for 2020...

blooddoc23 said...

Thinking about you. I know the future is bright!

john said...

It's about time - good luck with moving on. Get out there and join some of the great group rides in you valley. Many wonderful opportunities