Friday, May 08, 2020

Friday News And Views

More New Gravel Tires:

Tires. Say no more! Tires are argued about more, fussed over more, worried about more, and have maybe the biggest effect on bikes than anything else. So, when we see another new tire coming out, it gets folks excited. No one says, "Really? More tires? Stop it!", at least I don't see that. Also worth noting- We have so many 'gravel tires' now that I cannot keep track of them. I remember scouring the distributor's catalogs trying to find any 700c tire between 33mm (cyclo cross) and 50mm, (29"er) that wasn't a hybrid, wire bead tire, or some over-built touring tire. That wasn't all that long ago, by the way.

Hutchinson has been around a long time and have made many bicycle tires. You may not even know that. You could be forgiven for that easily. Hutchinson isn't known well in North America, and much less so in terms of gravel tires. So you may not have even known about their previous effort called the Overide. Frankly, I wasn't all that impressed with that tire. But this new one looks better. In fact, it looks a lot like a Donnelly MSO, so if it acts like a MSO, well then it should be pretty awesome. The big question isn't so much the tread, it's how the casing rides. If it isn't stiff, and has a modicum of forgiveness, I'll probably like it, at the least.

Hutchinsom is hitting all the most obvious things here. Skin wall, black wall options, and sizes in 700c X 40mm and 45mm along with 650B X 47mm. I noticed that their website says they have a 700c X 47mm. I'm pretty sure that was supposed to be 650B X 47. It wouldn't make any sense to do a 45mm tire and a 47mm one. Besides that, there is a puncture protection belt, which goes bead to bead, and these are tubeless ready, of course. All sizes and variations are $64.99 each MSRP.

RidingGravel.com will be getting some of these to check out, so hopefully you'll get to see them here as well. Stay tuned......

 SRAM AXS Pressure Guide:

SRAM, who call their electronic shifting group AXS, have an interesting tool on the AXS website which can guide you to a suggested air pressure setting for any tire, bicycle, and rider. It's unique and is based on an algorithm that calculates the outcome based upon user defined values. We've tried it at Andy's Bike Shop, and while it isn't perfect, we think it gives the rider a good reference starting point. As the site says, you should use the value suggested as a starting point for experimentation. We couldn't agree more.

At the very least, it is going to show casual, recreational cyclists that they are likely using too high a pressure. Obviously, we bike nerds are more tuned in to such minutiae, but maybe some of you are not? Give that site a whirl and let me know what you think. I think it is decent, but not perfect.

Riding Gravel Radio Ranch Podcast Rolls On:
The podcast, which already has more episodes published than it has for the last year and a half, is rolling along really well. That was one of my main goals for the podcast going into 2020. Which, by the way, has had many goals trashed due to this damn pandemic. (Latest episode here)
 .
My hope is that we can manage to keep things rolling throughout 2020 this way. But in order to be more inclusive, I am asking you readers here to let me know what you would like to hear. Just post something in the comments, or as always, feel free to email me @g.ted.productions@gmail.com. I'd love to hear your suggestions.

We have started one new feature. It's called "Gravel History With Guitar Ted". We talked about the Flint Hills Death Ride last Tuesday. But I'd like to hear about more old events, or just stories to look in to. I have some ideas based upon my experiences, but I don't know everything. Let's hear it folks!

Bike Bag Dude Top Tube Bag known as "The Garage".
 Parts Acquisition Mode: ON

Well, we'll be having a Twin Six Standard Rando v2 frame and fork headed this way soon, so I need to get accessorized. I do have a ton of stuff around to get that frame built up, but there are a few things missing that I need to get this bike 'just so'.

Actually, I was rummaging through my vortex of stuff in the Lab to find a top tube bag for the Pofahl the other day when I realized I just needed to get more Bike Bag Dude stuff to really solve the problem here.

Kath and Kedan of the Bike Bag Dude company live in Australia and are some of the most dedicated, finest bag makers around. You probably know a few very talented endurance athletes who use their bags, sometimes without the "BBD" logo, because they are supposed to be using their sponsor's stuff, but they thought BBD was better. That speaks volumes to me, but hey! I already know BBD stuff is the bomb because I've been using it for years. Like......almost ten years. 

Their stuff is really well made and lasts and lasts. I already have two of their "Garage" Top Tube Bags, and they are the 'just right size' top tube bags that don't get in the way and have a really pleasing shape to them. So, I already know I'm going to like the new ones. The best part? BBD can make these (and their other stuff) in a wide palette of colors, so one of the Garage Bags will be black and yellow to go with the new T-6 Standard Rando. The other will be more neutral colored to go with other bikes.


Okay, that's a wrap for this week. Have a great weekend and get out to ride some bikes if ya can!

5 comments:

graveldoc said...

Not to steer business away from BBD but I'm wondering if you're familiar with Andrew the maker. ATM is a Kansas City based bag maker with a good reputation. I think he makes bags aimed at the adventure cycling, bike packing, and gravel genres.

Guitar Ted said...

@graveldoc - Yes, I have heard of that company. I also own bags by Revelate, Becker Design, Carousel Design (out of business), J-Paks, Banjo Brothers, Planet Bike, and Lezyne.

But no one does a top tube bag like BBD. The Garage TT Bag is one of my favorite top tube bags and Kath and Kedan do treat me well. Not that other makers/companies wouldn't or don't. I just happen to really like what they do.

I've got friends that have Andrew The Maker bags, Porcelain Rocket, Cedaero, Rogue Panda, amongst others. There are a LOT of great, small, custom bag makers.

graveldoc said...

I suppose one could call me a bag junky but I like outfitted to haul what you might want or need. I have owned some bags from Rivendell,Berthoud, Revelate, Rockgeist, Nuclear sunrise, Rogue Panda, Waxwing and another from the Riding Gravel list which was offering a special on a custom frame bag. All nice bags, these. I have either sold those bags, given them away or sold the bikes which wore some of the bags. I have Caradice, Zimbale,Ironweeed,and Roadrunner /restrap, Linus, and Treetop bags currently in use. Whew! I have in use or used Banjo Brothers, and Jandd bags. I also have seen examples of ATM bags in Kansas City gravel oriented bicycle shops and it looks like great stuff.

graveldoc said...

I just wanted to comment on the yellow BBD garage bag. That yellow will probably pop when paired up with that beautiful blue Pofahl. I've always felt you have a fine artistic aesthetic when choosing bike colors and the accessories with which you outfit them. I enjoy the photos of your fleet which you post.

Greg said...

I tried the AXS tire pressure, and it seems way too high to me. I'd feel sorry for anyone who the website helps them realize they were running too much tire pressure.