Thursday, May 07, 2020

Testing For The Single Speed Century

The Pofahl Signature Custom
So this whole 'self-motivated events schedule' has to start getting underway or, ya know, I'll get busy with something else and then poof! It'll be October and nothing will have happened.

So, yesterday I dug out the Pofahl Signature Custom single speed bike from waaaay in the back of the Lab and dusted it off. I aired up the tires, tightened up a few bolts, and stuck a Bike Bag Dude Garage top tube bag on it for a bit of testing.

It's been quite some time since I last rode this bike. In fact, I am pretty sure it was at the end of 2017 that I rode it on a big ride with a friend who also was on a single speed. Ironically, a single speed I used to own. Anyway...... I didn't ride this at all in 2018-2019, which is really a shame. So, I wanted to see if this would be okay for the proposed first 'event' of 2020, the Single Speed Century.

It's not a slam dunk, just because I rode it on a long single speed ride the last time I rode this, and that's because a few changes happened since 2017 to the bike. I had swapped out tires. The old ones were tubeless and since I rarely ride the bike, tubes made more sense. I took off the MSO tubeless tires and put on some Ardents that my former coworker, Joe, had given me. Then somewhere along the line I swapped out stems from a 30° rise Bontrager XXX stem to this Raleigh branded super-short, shreddy stem thing. In fact, as indicated above, the stem wasn't even tight! So, I had no idea what effect the changes would make.

From the last ride I did on the Pofahl.
So, I tried it out with this shorty-short, lower stem and the new tires. It was, surprisingly, okay. I may get a different, slightly longer, zero degree rise stem for this, but I think I need a different saddle and then I need to try that first.

First off, I have gravitated toward a lower front end over the last few years. So, that different stem actually wasn't a shocker. To be honest, the Stormcahser review bike has a really slammed front end, and that seemed to be okay with me too. So this set up was no biggie in the end.

The added bonus is that this makes the whole bike look better too. I actually don't think the Pofahl has looked this cool since I ran flat bars on it ten years ago or more. Oh.....yeah. I have had this bike since 2007. So, it's one of the older rigs I am still riding. As far as the looks go, I don't mind the skinwall tires, but for the Single Speed Century, I think I will do tubeless again, and these Maxxis tires are not rated tubeless. I will be trying some different tires then for that ride. I may try some Vittoria tires we have down at Andy's Bike Shop. They would be well suited to this single speed deal I am going to do.

What is really ironic, and is something I'd forgotten since it's been almost three years since I started planning the Single Speed Century, is that back in 2017, I was going to use this bike anyway! So, it's meant to be. Now I have to just actually get out there and get it done.

I'll have more leading up to this 'event' soon. Things like a date for it, and a route. Stay tuned......

8 comments:

Tomcat said...

Such a cool looking rig, Mark! Can't wait to see more photos of this bike out in the wild.

Guitar Ted said...

@Tomcat - Thank you!

graveldoc said...

Question: What gearing are you running on the Pofahl?

Tony said...

If you're thinking about the Vittoria Terreno Cross Country, my limited experience has been very good. Better than the Ikons on everything that I have ridden on so far.

Guitar Ted said...

@graveldoc - Probably 38T X 18T. I haven't double checked, but that is my preference.

@Tony - Thanks!

jhueber1 said...

I think you aren't a big fan of Compass/Rene Herse tires, but I've been running the 70x55 Antelope Hill on my Sir9 set up single speed and have been a huge fan. I even used them at Midsouth this year and was impressed in the muddy horrible conditions.
Just a suggestion for a very fast high volume tire. I got them second hand, not sure if I would dole out the $80 each if I had to buy new though. Cheers and always enjoy the blog

Guitar Ted said...

@jhueber 1 - It's not that I am not a fan, it is that I have heard enough about problems with those tires that I am not interested. I know- they have ardent fans, and several 'success' stories exist. The guy that won the inaugural C.O.G.100 was using them. But I have heard equally as many bad stories as well. Tires blowing off, not setting up easily or at all- no thank you. It's 2020 and I refuse to take chances on a tire company with a chequered reputation amongst users.

I actually had a set I was about to use when several folks reached out to me to warn me of issues they had had. I ended up selling them at a loss. So, I was 'this close' to trying them, but yeah. I probably will stay away from their tires now. There are far too many solid, high quality tires with great reliability records out there to be taking chances on other tires with not so solid records.

jhueber1 said...

@guitar ted makes total sense to me, if it is the Terreno Zero's you will be using I will be interested to hear your thoughts as that what I was gonna buy until these Antelope Hill's were gifted to me.