Saturday, May 02, 2020

A Bit Of Reflection On These Times

 The Stormchaser with 650B X 47 WTB Venture tires.
Wow......it's May already? Well......yeah. Another month went by and things are still really odd. I figured I should talk about this, since it weighs on my mind a lot, and I am sure it does on many of you as well.

 In some ways I am very much at peace with what is going on. It is easy for me to accept social distancing, for instance. But for many, it is a terrible price to pay to "flatten the curve" because they crave social contact. I feel bad about it all, really. This "new normal" is very unfair. But like my Mom used to tell me, "Don't expect Life to be fair". This is just a new set of circumstances that has changed what is unfair now. The reality of 'now' is shocking many of us into seeing things in completely new ways. Will things ever be the same again? I'd wager a big "no" there.

At Andy's Bike Shop, we get to see several folks that own businesses or that work in different fields. Everyone is saying they don't know what the future looks like anymore, but they almost all agree that it will look different than it was. That's a hard pill to swallow for most people, because as we all know, change is difficult. I've a feeling we are in for a big heaping helping of change for the next year or so.

When this all broke out and the world went into shut-down, I was sent this Salsa Cycles Stormchaser. Wow.....thinking about that name now. The storm is upon us, and will we all weather it? Yeah..... Anyway, this whole reviewing of things. Will that be one of the things that changes? Probably. Retail and marketing, and all of that is going to change radically. I've no doubt about that. But things have beginnings and endings. I know that. It's just that I never dreamed of a time like this that will bring about many comings and goings.

Here's wishing you all the best out there, wherever you are, and that the changes coming don't bring you down. Thanks so much for reading this blog. Hopefully that daily dosage of G-Ted remains the same for some time to come.

6 comments:

graveldoc said...

Thanks for your dedication to daily posts on GTP. I visit daily for my daily dose while sipping coffee early every morning. All the best for you as you chase those storms. A local bike shop in Springfield Missouri posted on IG they got in a Stormchaser and it was snatched up and out the door quickly! They implied the Stormchaser may soon be hard to get ahold of. Could this be related to factory closings in Asia or is it just perception?

Guitar Ted said...

@graveldoc - Thanks for reading everyday. I appreciate it.

On the Stormchaser - My theory is that Salsa is going to make this single speed in small numbers because, single speeds are a very niche part of the marketplace. Keep supply low and if demand is high, maybe make a second run, less than the first, and see where it goes.

I also think there is room in their range for an aluminum Warbird. Think about where the price is for a Carbon Warbird (2G+) and where the Journeyman bikes are positioned (around the 1K mark) and I can totally see a Tiagra equipped aluminum Warbird for sub-2K that gets people into that platform (Class 5 VRS) They used to make that bike but when the Warbird v2 came out it was dropped. I think once they do this bike again, you may still get those sliding drop outs but the bike will be spec'ed geared.

Nebo said...

I too start my day with coffee and Guitar Ted. I very much appreciate your dedication to the blog and to cycling in general.i want you to do whatever it takes to keep yourself and your family safe.Lets hope some normalcy returns sooner than later

youcancallmeAl said...

Certainly gives me something to look forward to each day.

MuddyMatt said...

Glad you are well. Here in the UK we are being told we are winning while the number of deaths - counted and uncounted - continues to rise far beyond elsewhere. Work is precarious for many, many people as I'm sure it is in the US.

I'm thinking the future will include a big focus on localism and the people around you that make things worthwhile.

One good bike thing though - I'm riding my Trek District singlespeed belt drive that I've has since 2013 a lot more! I'd forgotten how much I love singlespeed (and how comfy this thing is for short urban riding). Saying that, a mate has offered an Alfine 8-speed hub; some nice chrome tubeless rims laced to that would give me a lot more options to make it a regular ride choice, especially if I switch to a chain drive.

I'm busy with my calculator!

Stay safe everyone!

onoffrhodes.com said...

I've been summarizing the weeks from my view at www.onoffrhodes.com since this all began. I'm a designated "essential employee" and I work for local government. It's been a crazy 7 weeks since this all started.