The announcement was posted to Iowa Wind and Rock's Facebook page on Monday, September 7th.
The event, which uses a different course every year, is unique in the gravel racing world as it eschews most of the features many gravel events see as being "necessary". There is no pre-event course release, riders do not have any idea where they are going during the event unless they are familiar with Iowa backcountry. There is no gps file. Riders navigate by cue sheet instructions. It all is done to test the physical, mental, and mechanical limits of each participant.
There really are no gravel events quite like IWAR. The loop course, which is typically well over 300 miles, must be completed in 34 hours or less. The event starts at night, riders ride into the day, the next evening, and typically finish the following day in the morning, IF they finish at all.
If you are interested in IWAR, see their site HERE for more details, but do not tarry, as after the 2027 event, a challenge like this will disappear from the gravel calendar for the first time since 2005.
Comments: Full disclosure, I was told about this on September 3rd. The event directors, Sarah Cooper and Steve Fuller felt that I deserved to know first. In case you aren't aware, Iowa Wind and Rock grew out of the event I put on starting in 2005 called Trans Iowa.
So, a quick recap of what happened in 2018 when I announced the end of Trans Iowa. Sarah Cooper asked if she and Steve Fuller could take over the event. I had decided this wasn't a very good idea. NOT because I didn't want them to take over Trans Iowa, but because I didn't want Sarah and Steve to be held to the same standards set up during Trans Iowa's 14 year run.
So, instead, I suggested they start their own event, be that a clone of T.I. or whatever the decided to do. Then their legacy would not be judged against Trans Iowa. And I was very pleased to understand that IWAR did indeed take this track and they ran with it for eight wonderful years. Building their own story, fans, and doing it their way, even if that was as close to Trans Iowa as it could possibly be.
So, there is the connection between IWAR and Trans Iowa. I have to admit, I was a little heartbroken reading the email I got September 3rd. The gravel world has moved on into several different directions, but this event is so unique and special, I think it is a bit of a shame this won't exist anymore.
That said, I "get it", and that in spades, as to why this must come to an end. As Craig Schmidt, co-founder of Gravel Worlds outlined in his response to the IWAR announcement on Facebook, you know what you know if you have ever put on an event. If you haven't, it's hard to explain the weight on your shoulders. It is not easy to bear. So, from this viewpoint, I can certainly see why it is time to let IWAR go for the RD's of this event.

No comments:
Post a Comment