This meant that I had one choice. My fixed gear, Twin Six Standard Rando v2. I've actually put a fair amount of time on this bike over 2026. But there has been a bit of a break in between where I had not ridden it much.
The last time I reviewed this bike was about nine months ago. But I've ridden it a bunch since then. Mostly around town, but there have been a few longer rides thrown in around the city here.
One thing which may seem weird here is the stem. It is a Redshift Sports ShockStop stem. Seems weird on a fixie, but it works and since you can get caught out running over stuff and not in a position to unweight the saddle, it sure comes in handy. In fact, maybe I should put on a suspension seat post....
Anyway, I've gotten used to the gearing. That took me a while. The Dura Ace 16T cog can be a bear at times. But in the beginning of this builds riding I was hurting every time I rode it. Now? I seem to be getting on with it fine.
I'm spoiled by big, poofy tires. So much so that these 37mm Panaracer tires seem too harsh to me. But with fenders, this is about a big a tire I can squeeze in there. I used to ride that old 1X1 Surly I had as a fixed gear bike with Extraterrestrials on the wheels. 2.5" of nice, smooth tire makes riding fixed a lot nicer experience. But this bike is not that bike. It is fine for what it is and I'm not planning any changes soon. Except for one thing.
Riding fixed is hard on things which you wouldn't think about on a geared bike. Things like saddles. I think I may have broken the one on this bike. I'll likely change it out for one of my spare Brooks saddles soon.

No comments:
Post a Comment