Saturday, November 07, 2020

Brown Season: Barns For Jason

 Last Thursday I did a big chunk of "The Quest", my attempt to ride every gravel road in Black Hawk County before 2021, and during this outing I saw a LOT of barns. Too many to post with my ride report, so I am making this separate post to show these off.

You never know what you are going to see for barns, because many barns have deteriorated to heaps of lumber, blown away in storms, burned, or have been removed since the traditional barn is pretty much useless to the modern day farmer. I use to have a contest of sorts with my friend, Jason Boucher, and whenever I posted my barn pictures I headed them with "Barns For Jason". Well, Jason abandoned the contest, literally, years ago, but I have continued the tradition.

Essentially, this is my little way to document the Iowa barn landscape, which is quickly shrinking away with every year that passes. The 'quest' to ride every gravel road in Black Hawk County turns up many new-to-me barns and has added to my collection of barn images greatly. So, I should have a pretty thorough documentation of barns in the county with the exception of most that are on pavement. 

So, sit back, grab a cup of your favorite beverage, and look at these barns. Some are in 'working order', some are still in use, but many are dilapidated and barely hanging on. At any rate, try to imagine what these barns would have been like in their heyday with cows, pigs, chickens, sheep, and lots of hay and straw in the hay mount. Enjoy!













That's a wrap on this trip's barn finds. As I said, there were certainly a LOT of barns seen on this ride. I would estimate twice to three times as many on a single ride of this length compared to many rides I do. 

I hope you enjoyed seeing them all. Thanks again for checking in.

No comments: