Monday, June 06, 2022

Gravel Cycling Hall of Fame: The Induction & After-Party

Life Time had banners up for every winner of the DK200/Unbound since 2006.
I walked on down toward the Grenada Theater dressed in my blazer, a nice floral print shirt, Levis blue jeans, and my Steson fedora. I was just some weirdo in downtown Emporia, Kansas at that point. I could have been anybody to most folks there. 

I saw the banners Life Time had made up adorning light poles on Commercial Street. In a few days these streets would be buzzing with activity, well, that is if it didn't rain. Rain was in the forecast and the area was already under flood warnings. 

There was the Grenada, and well, I walked right in like I owned the place. There were no instructions to let me know where or when specifically a hall inductee should meet someone 'official' at. But I hadn't gotten done using the bathroom and out again long before I saw LeLan Dains. LeLan, of course, got his start helping Jim Cummings keep the DK200 going after original co-founder and co-RD Joel Dyke had left. Now after a stint with Life Time, he was the director of  Visit Emporia Tourism . He also was a founder of the Gravel Cycling Hall of Fame, so he had a major hand in all of what was going on with that evening's festivities. 

Well, after a very nice and long-awaited chat, LeLan had me settled in and I was off to find a seat. There was a meal, so I availed myself of that, having not eaten since breakfast, and figuring that alcohol would be part of the goings on, I thought it best to not go into things without some ballast. Then it was time....

Giving my acceptance speech. Image by Amanda Nauman taken from the balcony.

I was the second individual to go up. Well, the first, actually, because Corey Godfrey's speech was given virtually since he had fallen ill just before the event. I was a bit saddened by that, and I said so in my speech. 

I got through it okay. Some folks commented afterward that they liked what I had said. One mentioned that I sounded a bit shaky after I told them it was rough to get through it. But all in all, I said what I needed to say and I am satisfied. Oh.....and I guess I was unofficially "Best Dressed" inductee. So there was that! 

So, obviously there were other speeches. I thought Dan Hughes' speech was hilarious. He definitely lightened the mood. Kristi Mohn was great. Her speech was very touching. Chris Skogen's speech was super. It was very down to Earth, given in his inimitable style, yet really deep and thoughtful. I liked what he said quite a bit, actually. 

Rebecca Rusch gave a great speech and kind of pumped everyone up. The last speaker was Bobby Wintle, and for a good reason. If you don't know Bobby Wintle, well, "Energizer Bunny" has been used to describe his persona, and for good reason. He was great, and pretty much has sewn up the MC job for this gig going forward, as far as I am concerned, into perpetuity. 

And then there was an after-party. 

Since Corey Godfrey could not be there, Jason Strobehn, (GW RD/Marketing Guy) held up a cardboard cut-out of him during the reading off of his accomplishments.

It's funny how you get an impression of someone you've never met before. Now, I have spoken with and know a few of the inductees. Corey, of course. He's been around Trans Iowa very nearly since the beginning, and I've been going down to Lincoln for events most every year since 2009. I've met and chatted with Kristi Mohn a few times before, and I'd had a sit-down talk with Chris Skogen once years ago and even a short ride with him. Dan Hughes I knew only from Trans Iowa v13, so I didn't really know him well. Bobby Wintle I had met a few times, but likewise, I had not ever hung out with him before. And Rebecca Rusch, well I had never met her, and had only had a few e-mail communications with her in the past. 

So, I was most interested in getting to know these folks better, the ones I had little exposure to, or as with Rebecca, none at all. And you know....we're all human. We have faults and personality traits that are similar while having our very unique distinctive talents and gifts. Yeah... I was glad I went. I felt like I belonged there, and I tell ya what, the other inductees all made me aware that they felt very strongly that I belonged there as well. 

Kristi Mohn (L) and Dan Hughes before the ceremonies started.
It is even more ironic when you think about Rebecca Rusch. Look, she's done a LOT of worthy stuff, and she already is in the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame. She could have waltzed right in there and just made us all feel 'less than' quite easily, and justifiably so. But she told a story like I've never heard for her inductance speech, and afterward she was kind, humble, and very eager to be present and engaged with us. 

And I met her mother. (I guess - according to Rebecca- everyone meets her mother!

So, yeah... It was a lot of fun. Now I was a 'person' that people wanted to meet, they 'knew who I was', and asked for my autograph. Weird! But like I said in my acceptance speech, "I guess I did enough that y'all figured I should be in the Hall of Fame". So, what should I expect but a lot of thank you's and general interest in who I am, or was....or something. 

Even Chris Skogen, a noted recluse from fame, felt as though the GCHoF induction was worth coming to and experiencing. Like he said, "We can either choose to be pushed along by Fear, or pulled along by Love". 

And after it was winding down, I just made my exit. I walked along the quiet streets of Emporia back to my host's home, and I walked right in the front door. Again....so weird. I found my room and laid down for a night's rest after texting with my family for a bit. 

Inaugural class of the Gravel Cycling Hall of Fame: (L-R) Chris Skogen, Cut-out of Corey Godfrey, Bobby Wintle, Kristi Mohn, Guitar Ted, Dan Hughes, Rebecca Rusch. Image from Bobby Wintle's social media.

 Getting in a "Hall of Fame" is kind of odd in some ways. Suddenly you are "something" and yes, some people look at you differently. I also wondered the following day on my drive back home what this means in a general sense. In our culture, getting into a Hall of Fame means you've reached the pinnacle of your chosen profession or sport. It means you've 'retired' and no longer participate in such activities anymore, in most cases. (There are exceptions I can think of, sure.) So, I wondered, is this it? Am I done now? 

Well, I don't think, in this case, that is what this means. Although it is true- I have retired from event productions, even though I was practically begged by another inductee to put on another Trans Iowa. I suggested Iowa Wind and Rock, and yeah, but.... 

sigh.....

What do you do with that? (Don't answer!) Yeah.... I've got no answer right now. Even Chris Skogen hinted that the embers are being kindled again for him, so who knows? I think we're just wired to bring back the old days and those times once more, and you know what? Usually you are better off staying retired. There are not many "Tom Bradys" in this world. Be careful! 

Next: Morning Coffee Leads To Afternoon Adventures.

6 comments:

fasteddy said...

Many feels. Congratulations and thank you.

Guitar Ted said...

@fasteddy - Thank you!

DT said...

Yeah, see that's just it, it's only "over" as long as you feel that it's "over"!
You never know when something might change, the itch might strike again. Granted, it can never go back to the original TI style (as you've hinted to before, with technology prohibiting people from experiencing it the same as in years past). But why not a TI rev 2.0? Maybe some kind of twist on it to differentiate from IOWAR...

Chris McQueen said...

Things are always different, but that's okay. Really appreciate you sharing your reflections on this experience. Excited for you!

Guitar Ted said...

@DT - Yeah, but we already have IWAR.....Or- Do you mean to say that "Only Guitar Ted can do that in a way I'm interested in"?

See- Big difference there.

And I am a man of my word. Or at least I try to be. So- No. No coming back for me..... Onward.

Guitar Ted said...

@Chris McQueen - Thank you!