Saturday, June 25, 2022

Chipping Away At The Build

This is what the Singular Gryphon Mk3 will look like.
I've taken a bit of a turn on my thoughts for my upcoming Singular Cycles Gryphon v2 build. I've also been scheming up a build and I have procured a very important bit for the bike. This post will be a progress report. 

So, originally I was thinking this build would be easier if I did it as a single speed. However, after looking at all the parts I have available to me now to complete this, I have taken a different approach. This will end up becoming a 1X bike.

This became the reasonable way to go after I got it through my thick head that this bike was a 12mm through axle, non-Boost spaced bike. Once I realized this, the wheel choice became an easy one to make. 

The wheels will end up being the "Project Wide Gravel v2" wheels which were a failed attempt at making a wide interface for gravel tires. But for plus-sized rubber, which is where I want to be with the Gryphon? They were perfect, so that led me down another path. That is because the DT Swiss rear hub I have has a SRAM XD cassette body on it. That is perfect for a wide range 1X set up. So, I think I am going to use those, an 11 speed XD cassette, and that led me to......tires!

I searched around for a tire with about a 2.6-2.8" width in 29'er size and landed on the Teravail Coronado.  Looking around for a decent price I noted that Lacemine 29 owner, Mike Curiak had posted a list of tires on his Big Wheels Deals page. I contacted Mike via email and he responded quickly. Next thing I knew my tires were in the 'mail' and I received them last weekend. So, now I have the rubber, the wheels, and the next thing will be the drive train. I have the cassette I think I'll need, so no worries there. 

I have an SLX crank set that could be converted to 1X or I could use that older XTR crank set which is silver and would go with the rest of the build. The stem, handle bar, and seat post are all silver. I'll have a Brooks C-17 saddle in Wheat color on it to start out with, and those wheels have black rims to make the tan sidewall 'pop'. It should be a pretty handsome bike when it gets all put together. 

That won't be until this fall when the frame and fork comes in. Stay tuned.....

2 comments:

teamdarb said...

This is too timely. Yesterday, I was looking at the available Peregrine Mk 3. I really want to order a small. After putting it into the cart, I got nervous at checkout. How do you know what it actually cost with shipping beyond the checkout? Have you seen any additional fees with purchasing across the pond? The FAQ section of the website does not go into answering those questions.

dwzunk said...

Just in case you were unaware, Problem Solvers makes an adapter called the “zinger” that turns an xd type hub into a singlespeed hub. I have one and it works fantastic. Plus, the cogs are steel and really inexpensive.