Wednesday, June 08, 2022

Gravel Cycling Hall of Fame: Photo Essay

 My time with Erik Mathy was, quite simply, the best part of the entire trip. Yeah....I got inducted into the Gravel Cycling Hall of Fame and all. That's big, don't get me wrong, but it may take me years to fully understand the gravitas of that honor. Meanwhile, adventures, especially off-the-cuff ones, are my favorite thing. Total spontaneous goodness is something I just really love to experience. And hanging out with Erik was totally spontaneous, unplanned, and so much fun!

Erik was really diving into this mission for his work, but really having no issues engaging with me at all times. Meanwhile, as he took shots, reloaded that antique camera, and looked for new ways to see his subject, I decided hey! What a great time to work on my image-craft as well. I mean, I am never going to be an Erik Mathy level talent, but I can still learn a thing or two from watching a master work and by using my little Oly TG Tough, such as it is. 

So, here are my favorite shots I got with Erik. No particular order and I may have a comment on some, but I may not. I hope that you enjoy the imagery and please- feel free to ask about anything you want regarding these images. Thanks! Here we go.....

There are a few pithy comments I could make.... Some beautiful animals here.

Longtime readers know I love flowers. Not the best shot, but hey!

We spotted this small tortoise and saved it from certain destruction.


Erik spotted this truck about 50 yards off the road and, well....You know what happened next!

The chromed light bezel looks alien to the rest of the truck.

One of my favorite shots from the day.

I liked the juxtaposition of flora and twisted, rusty metal.

This sign made me chuckle. I guess you had to be there!

Gateway to the 'really good stuff' just beyond this hill....

Now, that's a good climb!

Another grinder of a climb on the 200 course.

Open range land in the Flint Hills on the 200 course.

A gnarly old, dead tree still stands at the site of a former homestead on the open prairie.

'mur'ca!

Any questions?

Okay, that's all I got that is worth showing. I am sure that when Erik's work gets published by Shimano and "The Radavist" that it will blow you away and make my shots look like child's play. 

Next: The End Of Adventures And The Trip Home

4 comments:

fasteddy said...

Always great when you share your photos, Mark.
Thanks!

Ben said...

Love the "open range" photo....just kind of sucks you in. I've never ridden in the Flint Hills but looks like it has a unique beauty to it and I'll have to get down there someday.

Guitar Ted said...

@fasteddy - Hey, thanks!

Guitar Ted said...

@Ben - Thank you! I highly recommend a ride in the Flint Hills. Be careful around Springtime though. They have their annual prairie burns then and riding would be impossible. Check out Gravel City bike shop on Commercial Street if you go. They have excellent folks and can send you on great routes.