Monday, October 24, 2022

Brown Season: Harvest Wrapping Up

Escape Route: Alley ways...
The Mid-West- A place where you can experience Winter weather and Summer Weather within the same week in Fall. 

I know, right? Weird......

But Friday it was nearly 80°F here and on Tuesday morning the temperature in the morning was in the low 20's. It snowed in Northern Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. Some would point to climate change, but I can tell you its been like this during Fall for as long as I can remember. 

At any rate, a ride was in order on Friday, and I was ready for that. Amazingly, the wind wasn't insane, which when it gets this warm this late into October, it generally means you have high winds along with the high temperature. Count Friday as an oddball day then, because while it was windy, it wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

This image was taken at about 3:00pm. The light always gets pretty weird at this time of the year.

Note that grey haze along the horizon line? That's all dust.

So, one thing I struggle with is seasonal affective disorder. The way the light hits at this time of the year always triggers the slight depression I have every year at this time. I had a hard time getting out the door for this ride, as an example, but I was sure glad I did about halfway though it. Oddly enough, I kind of perk back up when the ground gets snow covered. Maybe Brown Season kind of adds to the issues I have. Could be......

The Gravel Bus at a stop on Aker Road.

Ironically I actually got passed by a school bus later on!

As I have said in previous posts, Iowa was especially dry in September and that has carried on through this month as well. It is really, really dusty out there! The air was thick with dust. You know it is dusty when the lining inside your nose gets thick and gritty! We sure could use some rain here. Sounds like that might happen Monday,

There still is some harvesting action going on.

Most everywhere it looks like this now though. Barren, brown, and you can see for miles. 

The gravel has been pounded into submission now South of town, no doubt due to all the harvesting activities. The harvest for 2022 is almost wrapped up around here. There are a few more corn fields to go, then that will be it for the rest of this year and the beginning of next year. 

Almost time to put away all the toys for this year.

My riding companion sure did a great job of keeping up with me!

So, this is such a weird feeling. Summer-like temperatures, almost a Winter solstice-like light in the sky, really dry air, and barely anything left in the fields. It just didn't add up to feeling "right". False Summer. It won't last long....

Like I said above though, it was very good that I did get out, despite the oddness of it all out there. The ride did me good. I'll be needing another dose of that medicine soon though.

2 comments:

Nooge said...

I get some SAD too, but mainly in winter. Personally I love riding in the woods in autumn. I’m grateful for the plentiful deciduous trees here in my area that put on a spectacular display this time of year. So I call this crimson season. Maybe some time in the woods could help deal with the brown season blues?

Guitar Ted said...

@Nooge - That's precisely one of the main reasons I do that annual Fall ride in the Green Belt i wrote about recently. Glad to hear that works for you as well. Keep pedaling!