Monday, October 17, 2022

The Traditional Fall Ride

Escape Route: The Green Belt
 Every year I try to get in a ride in the Green Belt to celebrate Fall and remember my beginnings in off-road riding. this strip of public land along Black Hawk Creek was where I had my first experiences with mountain biking. So, I try to get back there once every year to do some leaf peeping.

This time I rode the Fargo Gen I, which is odd for me because generally I would have used a single speed. That's because I usually see a lot of sticks and branches which can rip off a rear derailleur in a heartbeat, but I was willing to take the chance. 

The day was a banger, again, and while it was windy- really windy- it sure looked great on the camera here and I enjoyed being out again. It's been tough this year due to my cut-up schedule and time to ride is tough to find.  But at least I got out and had a ride to do the Fall ride I try to do every year. 

Dappled Sunlight. Tough to see!(For me anyway)

  

The Green Belt wasn't quite 100% peak color just yet, but it was pretty good. Lots of yellows and browns this year. I think the Green Belt suffered a bit with a very dry September, sandy soil, and a lack of maples out there. There are some maples, but not a lot and the maples are the ones that have the reds and oranges. Usually, in my experience, anyway. 

Not bad, but not peak.

The Fargo in Fall

So, I got the pics and headed back home. The Fargo handle everything like a champ. No surprise there. I think after this weekend the Fall color is going to wane pretty quickly, There are a few days forecast with lows into the teens this week and that will drop the leaves like a rock. 

Brown Season is coming. I talked to a farmer's brother yesterday who told me his brother is about 50% done. He thought by the end of this month harvest will be over. That means Brown Season. So, you can expect me to shift to that real soon for my rid posts.

1 comment:

baric said...

Great fall color scheme on the Fargo. Perfect choice for that ride. Looking good ....