Thursday, October 27, 2022

Local News

Recent recycling haul
Well, I figured that it was time for an update on what is going on with my "day job", such as it is, down at the Cedar Valley Bicycle Collective. I work there at that non-profit business three days a week, but it is a pretty fulfilling three days every week.

We essentially are doing service for the community, keeping bicycles out of the landfill, recycling what we can into good, used bikes for sale, and doing clinics/education type things. It is a far different gig than I've had in years.

I guess one of the most amazing things to me are the people who get bicycles from us, or donate them to us for recycling or refurbishment. Almost to a person, they are gracious, kind, and complimentary to a fault. I wrote that story about Bob recently, you might remember that, and he's just one of many stories I could share about the collective, really. It's nothing at all like retail bicycle shop experiences that I have had in the past. 

Then there is the recycling part. It is beyond crazy how many bicycles are just moldering away out there in garages, barns, sheds, and basements. I mean, we hauled away 900+ pounds of bicycle scrap to the recyclers last week alone with almost all of that having come through the doors in two weeks time. I'm sure we've hauled off around 5,000+ pounds of scrap this year since I've started. And you know we aren't even scratching the surface around here. Imagine what is laying around in a big urban area. It boggles the mind.....

Anyway, I'm still chugging along with the job and it has been rewarding. Not financially speaking, (although I am getting paid, mind you), but more so in terms of peace of mind, fulfillment, and in terms of just being very satisfied in that what I am doing is being accepted with a huge amount of gratitude. I couldn't say that about previous employment. 

I really have a hard time imagining why I would ever want to go back to traditional retail bicycle work at this point.
 

1 comment:

Nooge said...

Many jobs wear people down or make them feel worse. Getting to do something that helps yourself as well as others is quite nice. Helping others, helping the environment and helping yourself is a heck of a lot of good.