Thursday, December 22, 2022

Bikes Of 2022: Black Mountain Cycles MCD

 It's the end of the year and time to review what's up with the bikes I used over the course of 2022. You'll get a brief overview, any changes made, and what the future has in store for each bike listed. Enjoy!

The Black Mountain Cycles MCD has been a staple on here since I got it back in 2018. I kind of thought of this bike as being my present for doing Trans Iowa all those years, and when the last Trans Iowa happened in 2018 I had this bike on order already. 

Since the initial build of the MCD, I have swapped in several other bits and accessories doing testing for Riding Gravel. (Standard Disclaimer) Much of what is on it now is from review work for the site, but the frame, fork, head set, bottom bracket, and the current handle bars are all parts and pieces I bought. 

In the relatively short time I've owned this bike I have had some great adventures on it. One adventure I was looking forward to having on this bike did not happen as planned due to scheduling conflicts, but I think that next year this bike will play a big part in a two-day adventure I have planned. Hopefully I can make that happen with some things that are happening now that should change the amount of time I should have to pull a two-day trip off like the one I have in mind.

Testing for a fully loaded gravel tour went well last Summer.

So, that will likely be a change in status for the MCD next year, at least for a while, as I reinstall the rack and perhaps I may look into putting a front rack on there as well. I tried it this past Summer with a bikepacking type handle bar roll and I wasn't digging the higher center of gravity that the weight had on the steering. I have some nice Jaand Mini Mountain panniers which would work well with a front rack, and that may end up becoming my set-up. Or not..... Anyway....

That and wheel swaps, testing and reviewing things, and just riding more is what will be in store for this bike soon. 

Stay tuned for more Bikes Of 2022 soon.

No comments: