Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Bikes Of 2022: Surly Big Dummy

It's the end of the year and time to review what's up with the bikes I used over the course of 2022. You'll get a brief overview, any changes made, and what the future has in store for each bike listed. Enjoy!

This is my "pick-up truck" in my bicycle fleet. This one is all about utility and hauling stuff I'd not be able to on other bicycles I have. Granted, it is a fancy-pants utility rig, and it bucks the current trend of having an electric motor on it, but that's all good with me. 

This year the Big Dummy expanded it's duties as a carrier of parts for the Cedar Valley Bicycle Collective. Since the shop is a non-profit, our hours are not "regular" in that we are not open every day. That makes deliveries difficult at the shop for folks like UPS, who handle our distributor's shipping duties. 

So, the Board of Directors set up a drop box at our local UPS Store where I can go anytime they are open, pick up our supplies, and haul them to the shop in downtown Waterloo. Instead of using a car, or my pick-up truck, I use the Big Dummy.

After a bike rodeo we helped put on this past Summer

I also used this bike twice to help with support of two bike rodeos we put on over the Summer. Runs to pick up other stuff for our household were done, and, of course, I used the Big Dummy for some recycling runs. The Big Dummy also serves as a bike I can utilize when I go to work, ferrying bits I am donating to the Collective. 

So, 2022 saw a big uptick in usage for the Big Dummy, and that's a very good thing. 

Stay tuned for more "Bikes Of 2022" coming soon!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the rat-rod look of this bike. Whether intentional or not, it always catches my eye.

Guitar Ted said...

@Unknown - I see that as well with this bike. Thanks for the comment!