Tuesday, December 06, 2022

Bikes Of 2022: Salsa Cycles Ti Mukluk

It's the end of the year and time to review what's up with the bikes I used over the course of 2022. You'll get a brief overview, any changes made, and what the future has in store for each bike listed. Enjoy!

The titanium Mukluk I own, which I have dubbed the "Ti Muk 2", because it is the second titanium Mukluk I have owned, was refreshed over the course of late Summer and Fall here. That may remain fresh enough in you reader's minds that I may not have to go over much of that again here. 

Briefly, the drive train is new, including a new bottom bracket, but the Rohloff rear cog is the original one yet. At some point I can take that cog off, reverse it, and continue to use it in the reverse direction until I wear it out completely. I don't foresee that happening anytime soon though. 

So, besides that I did install the new Schmidt Edelux II light unit and here is what I think about that so far. I had been using a Bausch and Mueller light until that failed on me. So, the Schmidt light is different, most definitely. I am still dialing it in on my commutes, but I am very close to having it where I feel it will stay for the duration of its service life. This has to do with aiming the light, by the way.

The Schmidt light "throws" light a LOT further up the road than the previous light did. I wouldn't say that this is necessarily the brightest light, but it illuminates the road in a broad stroke which covers both lanes and I would say that it easily illuminates up to two blocks ahead of me, much as if you were in an automobile, in that respect. I can also see the light reflecting off traffic signs even further away than that, so I am sure approaching motorists are seeing me! That is, unless they are not paying attention. 

By the way, this is at speeds of about 12mph.

The Ti Muk 2 currently.

I also added the Scoutset rack out front which has come in handy for commutes, errands, and I hope for some Wintertime outdoor coffee runs. I did a review of this rack which you can find linked to the page for the rack. (See my link above) (Standard Disclaimer applies) 

In the future I'd like to upgrade my fender situation. What I have now 'works' but it looks horrible. Hopefully I can work on something for that this Winter. Other than that, the Ti Muk 2 is ready to roll.

Look for more Bikes of 2022 soon!

2 comments:

MG said...

Of course, that’s my favorite bike in your stable… for obvious reasons (to us). Glad to see it’s ready for another winter of fun!!

Guitar Ted said...

@MG - Thank you, Brother!