Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Is It Fixed?

New crank set: Will it "fix" the problems?
Last week I mentioned that I had finally diagnosed the issues with my Tamland Two. The crank set rings had been on the bike for a decade (!) and it was cheaper to buy a complete crank set rather than buy two chain rings. However; the narrative in the comments was all about crank length as I mentioned that I had ordered a 170mm length crank set. 

Well, the crank set came in and I decided that maybe I should try just the crank set first.The chain measured good yet and the cassette was put on at the same time as the chain. If the chain rings were the issue, the skipping of the chain over the teeth would most likely be eliminated with the new crank set. 

After installation a short neighborhood test ride revealed nothing but smooth going. So, a longer gravel ride was in store, and it happened on Saturday. 

The good news? I had no issues. Yet.... I'm not 100% convinced and more riding will be necessary before I am ready to say this is fixed. However; I will say this new crank shifts really good and smoothly. Just from that standpoint alone the change was worth it. 

Soooooo..... What about that crank length? You know, I'm not sure there is anything there. Not that there couldn't be, but again - I need to ride the bike more. All I can say now is the bike worked the way it was supposed to work.

I don't have power meters nor any technical equipment which would let me know if the shorter crank was better or worse. Maybe I had a good day Saturday and felt okay, or maybe it was something else. Actually, it was something else. It was the heat and wind! I don't know if you can really hang your hat on a crank length thing. Sure, bio-mechanically your knees may be happier, or maybe you adapted. Humans are good at adapting, by the way. Really good at it. 

Whatever. I'll keep riding these for a while and see. Meanwhile, I'm a lot more excited about how the bike is working as far as the drive train goes. No doubt, you readers are a lot more interested in crank length. Well, judging from the last post on this you all were seemingly all about that life. 

Stay tuned....

No comments: