Monday, September 30, 2024

Two Things

Last delivery of the year.
 Community Service:

This "Two Things" has a common thread. That being the Cedar Valley Bicycle Collective where I work these days. 

Last week I delivered the last supplies for the year from our vendor who had my order dropped shipped to the local UPS Store, which is several miles away from the shop. 

While I haven't been there in a few months, the UPS Store employees have gotten to know me and I would wager that is due to my chosen mode of transportation. There probably are not too many cargo bike riders going there to make a pick-up. I always get the side-eye glances and I'm sure many folks think I'm 'stupid' or worse. Once in awhile I get a compliment, and I did on this last run of 2024.

A middle-aged looking lady, who did not look at all like a typical cyclist, saw me run my boxes out and said, "I wondered who had the cargo bike. Cool bike!" I thanked her and went on my way. As I lashed the boxes to the bike, I thought about how rare that interaction is likely to be in Waterloo, Iowa and I smiled as I savored that one. I bet it will be awhile before I hear anything like that again. 

Usually, if anyone dares to say anything, it is more like, "Are you sure that bike can handle that?", or "Ya need a motor on that thing!". When that happens I just smile and nod politely while I'm doing my 'internal eye roll' and thinking that these folks would probably be amazed by eBikes.

Last Thursday I had to hoof it down to the Collective by 7:15 am to let in a group of six John Deere engineers who were volunteering through a program John Deere encourages their employees to get involved in. John Deere wants their employees to volunteer at non-profit organizations that benefit their local community. So, since the Collective is a non-profit, we qualify to host some of the employees throughout the year to help us do our work. 

Typically this is a "tear-down day" where I have the volunteers take bikes down to bare frames and forks. The parts are then sorted into bins and later on I sort those and save what we need to use as a source for rebuilding donated bikes, and in a secondary need, as parts for people trying to build up used bikes that cannot afford bike shop's new part prices. 

I hosted six fellows and in four hours they tore down around 30 bikes and several wheels as well. That'll keep me busy for quite some time! But this program helps us out tremendously at the Collective with being able to process bikes through more efficiently and allows us to continue to help needy people in the community with transportation needs, as well as helping with kid's programs and educational programs. 

Late 1980's vintage Shimano bottom bracket

Old Technology Rears Its Head:

Another thing that happens at the Collective from time to time is what I call "a blast from the past". Something on a bicycle that gets donated that I once knew about but had forgotten until it shows up in the Collective. 

One such thing occurred last week when my co-worker Carl was puzzled by an odd looking bottom bracket in a bicycle he was working on. It looked like a typical cartridge bottom bracket but the plastic cup was on the wrong side. I didn't even have to look at it to know what this was going to be. I was instantly reminded of early Shimano cartridge bottom brackets. 

Now, I may be wrong, but I think these were Shimano's first efforts at a cartridge bottom bracket. At least in the form-factor we know them as today. The main difference being that the steel cup which was attached to the cartridge was on the non-drive side instead of the drive side, which only lasted for a short time before Shimano flip-flopped the cups to what we all know today.  

Also back then, these were adjustable and rebuildable cartridge bottom brackets. I assume Shimano did this to appease the "old ways" and sway mechanics into accepting these new designs. Again, it did not take long for Shimano to abandon this first version of the cartridge bottom bracket for their well known sealed, non-serviceable type. 

I pulled the rubber seal off one end of this bottom bracket to show the ball bearings. The non-drive side has an actual jamb nut and adjusting nut set up, much like a wheel might have, in classic Shimano style. I actually have a Park tool to adjust these with that has followed me to every stop along my mechanic journey since my first shop job in 1993. 

By the way, as I recall, these bottom brackets were already out of the catalog by the time I started wrenching. So, those drive side, left hand threaded plastic cups were like gold! I saved every one I could because they were the weak link in those early cartridge bottom brackets as they were prone to breaking under high-stress pedaling. 

Anyway, it was fun to come across one of those old dinosaurs. Of course, I saved it. I plan on trying to service it later this Winter.

2 comments:

Tomcat said...

Digging your Big Dummy and how you're using it, GT! Your UPS store trips have inspired me to start exploring how I could use mine for grocery trips to minimize car trips even further.

I picked a Big Dummy up locally just a few weeks ago. I will say, the Big Dummy makes commuting so much easier. I don't really have to think strategically with how to pack for work. Clothes, food, coffee, computer....before I'd have to think about how to pack depending on the bike I'd be choosing for the commute. Now, I just "throw it in the trunk" and go!

Guitar Ted said...

@Tomcat - Cool! I've seen your social media posts with your new bike. Looks like you are having fun with it. That's awesome.

Thank you for reading the blog and for taking time to comment. I appreciate it very much. Ride On!