Tuesday, September 03, 2024

Review: Cross Point Superlight Waterproof Socks

Note: Guitar Ted Productions was sent a pair of Cross Point Superlight Waterproof Socks for test and review at no charge. Guitar Ted was not paid nor bribed for this review and he will always strive to give his honest thoughts and opinions throughout.

Socks. We don't think much about them unless it is to color match a particular kit we have for cycling, or you just need a fresh pair to slip over your feet in the morning or after a shower. Besides that, you should never have to think about socks. Not ever. 

However; this isn't the case if socks bind and bunch up, slide down your legs into a balled up mess around your ankles, or if your big toe is sticking out of a hole in them. Then you have to think about socks, which honestly, who wants to think about socks? Okay, maybe a few of you want to think about socks, Anyway.... 

Another time I think about socks is when they get wet, and I have to wear them for a while yet, and that's uncomfortable. Your feet might get colder then, sore from wet skin grating against a sock material, or it may be that uncomfortable, squishy feeling that socks have when soaked. 

This is where the Cross Point Superlight Waterproof Socks come in. Now, I have seen and tested waterproof socks before. Generally speaking, they were thick, stiff, not very foot-conforming, and HOT if they were worn in anything but cold weather. Really cold weather in some cases. Then when your inevitably sweat-soaked feet stopped pedaling, the cold air would affect your feet negatively and that was that. So, suffice it to say that past experiences with these types of socks was negative, and that's being kind. 

So, when I was approached to review these socks I was, shall we say "skeptical", to put things nicely? Well, when I looked further into these socks, I saw that they were claiming some things I was curious to find out if they were true. So, here we are. 

What It Is: The Cross Point Superlight socks are Cross Point's lightest waterproof socks. They are made in a 3-layer way which was designed to allow the foot to stay drier and yet repel water. The inner layer is a wicking Coolmax fiber. Then in the middle you will find a breathable, waterproof membrane. Finally the outer is a durable Nylon layer. 

The design for the Superlight socks is seamless and is claimed to be odor resistant. Cross Point utilizes a proprietary 3D lamination process to bond the layers together. This, they claim, lends a better fit and better performance. 

First Impressions: The socks came in and I have to say that they felt thicker than most of my socks but not crazy thick. Maybe "Winter weight" for a wool sock would be a similar feel here. Although the fabric doesn't feel what I would call "soft to the touch" at all. It is a coarse, thick feeling sock. A lack of stiffness was notable and was far better than any other waterproof sock I've handled. Perhaps the fact that this sock is so much thinner and lighter weight than anything I've handled in a waterproof sock is why that seem to be the case. 

Slipping the socks on was easy. Nothing like the battle which I engaged in trying to get some of those previous, far too stiff waterproof socks on. That was a nice surprise. In fact, they went on like any other sock would on my feet. The top of the sock is what Cross Point calls "crew length". I measured it at 8" from the heel up to my calf. The logo on the highlighter green field is a rubberized one, which was a surprise. 

A quick spin around the neighborhood using my Giant MTB shoes at 88°F with high humidity for about a half an hour showed me that these socks are far, far better than anything I've yet tried in a waterproof sock. However; about at a half an hour was where I felt my feet getting hotter, so these would not be the choice for a warm Summer's day ride. Of course, but I found this to be a revelation, and it made me hopeful that when things do get cooler and wetter that these socks might prove to be a valuable resource for inclement rides. 

Also of note, I ended up having to make a meeting on time after the ride and I walked two miles total distance with these socks on in street shoes. This was perfectly fine but maybe not as comfortable as a nice wool sock is for my day to day wear. Still, I mostly did not think about the socks and that is the goal. After removing them I thought there was a hint of "stank" but they weren't ripe and my feet were dry. There must be something to the claims of wicking and odor control. But again, we will see after things get wet and colder. 

 The Cross Point Superlight socks are normally $47.00 USD but at this writing they were on sale on their site (HERE

Stay tuned for an update later into Fall.

2 comments:

shiggy person said...

I have been using Cross Point socks (the merino lined versions) for seven years. Have all three of the thicknesses.
They work. Using them mostly in cooler weather. No issues with sweaty feet, usually perfectly dry. Wore them for 36 hours straight on a rainy bikepacking trip.
If anything, they could be warmer. I still use an insulated shoe cover in the winter.

Guitar Ted said...

@shiggy person - Thanks for that feedback! I'm waiting for some cooler weather before I head out to try the socks again. I have warmer feet than many do, though.