Saturday, May 15, 2010

Big Day On Gravel

Just wanted to give a shout out to all the guys and gals doing the Almanzo 100. The event will be starting out at 9am this morning and will be covering some awesome Southeast Minnesota gravel around the Preston-Spring Valley area. Good stuff and the stories coming out of this unprecedented field of riders should be amazing.

Gravel grinders are really beginning to become something special in the Mid-West and beyond. I know that back in 2004 when Jeff Kerkove and I cooked up Trans Iowa that the concept of racing a huge amount of miles on a point to point or loop course was an alien one to probaly 99.9% of cyclists. You can just check out Gravel Grinder News, go to the right margin, and see the number of events I have gathered there to find out just how far and wide the concept has spread.

Not only that, but now I hear that a former Trans Iowa vet has taken up doing guided tours of Colorado backroads due to an inspiration he got from Trans Iowa.

I never woulda guessed it would have gone this far, and I bet it goes even farther!

No comments: