Friday, August 18, 2017

Friday News And Views

This new gravel grinder that spans the Mitten will happen next May
Point To Point Madness:

There is something about a point to point gravel race/ride that appeals to people these days. It's weird. Think about this a minute.....

The idea to span a state seems to be the intriguing factor here. I doubt a point to point event from, say Sibley, Iowa to Mason City, Iowa would generate the interest that a border to border state crossing does.

Then there are the logistics. You cannot do something like this on your own, unless you ride back to get your car at the start. There is a level of teamwork involved in doing something along these lines. I remember when Trans Iowa started out the riders thought Jeff and I should have a bus to drive everyone that finished back to the start again. I wonder if the guys that put on The DAMn or that are putting on this "Coast to Coast Gravel Grinder" get e-mails with that subject in them. Anyway......

The days of yore were different. When the gravel grinding scene was getting cranked up over ten years ago, promoters were thinking border to border was a cool idea, but really bad for logistics and in reality, who cares? Border to border is an arbitrary thing anyway, but apparently, there is some cache' to doing things point to point, border to border, which appeals to the psyche of the gravel road rider.

I know I've had folks tell me they would never do a Trans Iowa unless I did one border to border across the state of Iowa. Really?!! I find that.......weird. Plus, if I did do one that way, it would be so hard to do logistically that no one would want to do it. There would be no checkpoints with teams waiting on riders, or even a course that anyone could know about to find the riders. Then you'd just have to go to the finish and wait on folks, to see if they did finish, or fetch them when they called in from a previously unknown point in Iowa. I don't think anyone wants to do that. Besides, it would suck about 150% more to put on than a loop course. You couldn't pay me to do that.....again. Not that I got paid for the first two, but you get the point

Anyway, who even says there would be another Trans Iowa? I haven't......and maybe I never will again. So, go race across Michigan. You'll love it. It is a way of life........

The gravel family reunion at Moose's Tooth/Cycle Works will happen again today. Image courtesy of unknown
Gravel Worlds: 

Well, today I am gone. I am traveling to Lincoln, Nebraska to be a part of Gravel Worlds for the third consecutive year now. It is a great event which, in my opinion, brings the best of all of the elements of the gravel culture together in one place. For one thing, it can be argued that the Lincoln scene was one of the earliest gravel grinding hot spots in the nation, predating Trans Iowa or most any of the gravel events you've ever heard about. The folks there get it, and it shows.

But it isn't just about riding, fun, and camaraderie. There is the serious competitive aspect of the event, for sure. The jersey idea may be tongue in cheek, but over the years, the Gravel Worlds jersey has come to mean something. Not just any ol' jack or jill gets one of these deals. That's why there are some heavy hitters racing this in 2017, and I bet you'll start to see more in the future.

That said, the good Pirates of the Cycling League do know how to keep it fun and keep it real. That's why so many folks return year after year to see each other and ride over hill and dale in the humid late August air there in Nebraska. That's why, since Odin's Revenge folded, this is my favorite gravel event that happens that is of the mold set when gravel riding and racing took off in 2005. It isn't my all time favorite event. No.....that would be the Gent's Race, but since that is a team event, and not like most others, Gravel Worlds is my favorite "typical" style gravel event. Anyway........

I'm there and if you are, look me up and say "hello'!

Otherwise, have a great weekend. I'll have an event report starting on Monday.

5 comments:

Ari said...

Good luck G.T.!!!!!!!!

Guitar Ted said...

@Ari- Thank you!!

youcancallmeAl said...

cachet

CrossTrail said...

I'm guilty of the cross-state fascination and don't understand it either. Maybe if I can't ride across the country, at least I can consider riding across the state. But that just begs the question of why the fascination with riding across the country. This topic deserves more discussion over a long bike ride. How about DAMn next year?

Unknown said...

If there were a Wisconsin event, the DAMn and this could all be connected in some crazy race. Maybe in stages because working hard and not drinking for days on end is silly and dumb.