Tuesday, July 23, 2019

GTDRI 2019: Final Update

Final Update:

Okay folks, this is the FINAL WORD on the 2019 Guitar Ted Death Ride Invitational. Click that link for the "Latest News" section where there is a link to the route page. You can print your own cues at Plot-a-Route, or there are several ways to download the route. (Scroll down the Plot-a-Route page to find these)

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU!! I will not be handing out cues, and there will be no guaranteed support. NO SAG!! I am trying to arrange for a couple of folks that are gracious enough to offer to park along the route with coolers of water,  but do not plan on this happening! My advice is to plan on being self-sufficient for 75 miles, and then any trail angel activities will be a bonus. The minute you plan on having relief before 75 miles is when it will not happen. Be like a Scout! Be Prepared!

There has been some minor recon. Roads are said to be good. I have been thwarted in my attempts to recon the route by time constraints, weather, and and my desire to have this be a bit more adventure than planned route. That said, I have one last shot tomorrow to get some of the route looked at. I am pretty confident it will be okay, if not a little rough in the dirt.

I've heard from maybe ten folks that they are coming. However; I've seen this being discussed on Facebook, and I imagine some folks are "just going to show up", so here's the deal. Without advance warning, there is no way I can plan on providing enough water to satisfy demand. That means you are on your own if you just show up.  Either bring your own water, or go without. I'll know who you are, because I know who sent me advanced warning of their attendance. 

My feeling is that this could be the year that makes me start having people sign up ahead of the event. (If I decide to ever do it again) Typically the GTDRI has been about 10-ish folks, which is no big deal. Last year I had 24 folks show up, a new record. This year? I think that it seems like I'll have more than that, and this starts becoming an issue. We'll see, but keeping two dozen folks together on a no drop ride is akin to herding cats, and any more than that would be an inhuman ask of anyone to try to keep together as one cohesive group without any pre-planning. Of course, with no sign up, there is no way I can plan in advance for such an occurrence. Not to mention having a throng descend upon a rural convenience store where 25-30 folks might represent a doubling of business for an afternoon.

UPDATED @ 3:52pm 7/23/19: The word is that now we should see water available on a limited basis at Mile 30-ish and Mile 60-ish. Plan accordingly. I've had confirmation from 10 riders for attendance. 

So, if you are coming, there is still time to give me a heads up: @g.ted.productions@gmail.com

We'll see how things shake out. Thanks! 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

See ya Saturday dude 👍

S.Fuller said...

Looking forward to making everyone wait for me. :D